Good Beverages for Toddlers?

I'm just fine with my 2 year old drinking only milk and water, but our babysitter wants to give her something else because my daughter sees her drinking other things (tea or soda) throughout the day and wants some. I don't want to give her juice (I'd rather she eat fruit) or unsweetened tea (contains caffiene). Are there other choices I'm not thinking of or should we just stick to water and milk?

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 11:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're fine with her drinking nothing but water and milk (which you're right to be), that should be the end of story! Just because she wants other things doesn't mean she needs them... A little juice is fine, people are right that that stuff can be fine in moderation, but kids don't really "get" moderation, and if she doesn't know what she's missing, why introduce that battle? A little herbal tea (lemon or mint -- not canned, but made with a tea bag) cooled down and not sweetened could be alright if she really wanted to sit and have a special drink.
    Anonymous

• apple juice is good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• How about pediasure and pedialite? I give it to my son in place of things like chocolate milk and Gatorade...
    Anonymous

• homemade fruit smoothies, strawberry milkshakes as a treat, diluted juices, caffiene free tea, homemade popsicles and yogurt bars.........good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• really milk, water and juice are the best choices. A little jucie or unsweetened tea, watered down on special occassions such as with the baby sitter isn't a bad thing. Just as long as it's not in excess! And even milk can be bad for your child in excess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son enjoys his juice....which is basicly water with just a tiny bit of juice mixed in.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Just water. She doesn't need a flavored beverage just because the baby sitter is having one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with 4 oz of 100% juice watered down. My kids get that, plus a glass or two of milk, and the rest is all water. If they really want more than 1 cup of juice, I just use less juice - 1 or 2 oz and more water (6 oz), and they can have a couple of cups like that. It's a lot better than pretty much every other option, and she can still eat fruit too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My kids drink water or milk. Just because they want a sip of my strawberry daquiri doesn't meant I give them one!!
    Anonymous

• there are lots of teas that have no caffine that are great for kids. mine love chamomlie and peppermint. i drink hot tea all day so they like to have tea too. we also drink a lot of keifer (yougurt drink with lots of good for you bacteria)
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010