I can not get my 3 year old son to sleep in his bed all night...

He still wakes up and comes in our bed to go back to sleep...he is starting preschool soon and will be exhausted by morning if he continues this...If anyone has any advice or has been through this please help??

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi, I am just now getting my 3 year old dd to stay in her bed all night. I started telling her that she has to stay in her bed all night, I will put her back to bed once and I sit in there and quietly count to 100, she knows when she hears 100 mommy goes back to her room and she has to stay in her own room and sleep. Believe it or not this has been working, after many nights of fighting with her or my giving up and sleeping in her bed with her. She has slept the past 3 nights in her own bed without getting up at all! We only started with the counting on Wed. of last week! Give it a try it might work. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• well have a bed time routine bath, book, hugs, soft music.. bed.. he is not a baby so if he gets out of bed 1st time tell him its bed time & put him back, 2nd time say bed time put him back, all times after that say nothing & put him back.. sooner or later he will stay in bed.. in the morning tell him he is a big boy for sleeping in his own bed. I would start the bed time routine 1 hour before his bed time.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• ps I have four kids 11, almost 7, almost 3, & 8 month old.. the three older ones have been successfully sleeping in their own beds before 2 yr old..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I myself had the same problem with both my girls, but they never slept in our bed, but slept out in the living room on the couch and used to refuse to use their own beds/crib. We even bought my oldest her own bed thinking she would love it but that didn't even work. When we moved we said enough was enough and got rid of one couch and said that they need to sleep in their own bed. It took quite a lot of work and patience but with all the crying that they went through it worked. It may take a while which it did for us, but it is worth it in the end. Sometimes if you put a small TV in their room, playing softly might help or even a white moise machine might help. If he gets up in the middle of the night to climb into bed with you, make sure you bring him back into your bed and not say to much him. Tuck him in and say good night and head back to bed youself. Keeo at it, it will pay off soon.
    mommyjones

Answer by mommyjones at 8:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2010