Is it a good idea to put my two yr old daughter in gymnastics?

I have a 2 year old daughter (turned 2 this past November.). She is very active and hyper. I want to find something for her to do with all of her energy. Also I think it would be a good idea for her to meet other kids her age.
I am also pregnant. We will be having another little girl in April. I thought gymnastics would be a good idea to put our 2 year old in so she can have something for "herself".

Has anyone else put their 2 year old in gymnastics before? If so, what do they get to do?

BelloItaliano

Asked by BelloItaliano at 11:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its a good idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Generally, i'd wait until she was closer to three or four. Gymnastics, even at a young level, can be hard on the joints.
    Maybe try another activity like tumble tots....
    We looked at the same thing but ballet for our lil one, and spoke to some gymnastics teachers.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Find a gym that is accredited. Talk to them about their policies and programs for younger students. There are certain things children below a specific age shouldn't be attempting. You want to find a program that offers age appropriate exercises and appropriate teacher to student ratios.

My DD began gymnastics at 4 yrs old but the school does offer younger classes. DD is now 5. The program she's in involves small class sizes and licensed trainers that only introduce components a child is physically ready to handle. They move children up levels based on their ability to handle the increased difficulty, not their age. DD's class has a wide range of ages in it but a similar ability level. this gym is linked to a specific preschool in town. The coaches are gymnastics certified & and only do the gym aspect. The teachers for the school, however, help out in the gym. They understand little kids well and it shows.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• yeah. At 2, they aren't going to do much. It's more about teaching to listen, follow directions, and take turns. They will start with little things and build up over time. So yeah, it's a great idea. I have my daughter at My Gym. She loves it. There it's more about exercising the body and learning gross and fine motor skills than gymnastics skills at this age. They do gymnastics skills when the kids are older, though.
    Anonymous

• we found a gymnastics place for my 2 year old that offers Lunch Bunch. 40 minutes of structured play and then they all eat lunch together. It has been great for her. They don't actually do gymnastics yet... but alot of running and jumping. It's a blast! I just "googled" gymnastics.. then my home town. I would guess alot of places offer something like this.
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i put my daughter in gymnastics the week before she turned two...she loves it...she is almost 4 now...the place where i put her has a class espically for the little girls...she did very well and it was not something that i felt was above her age level...they didnt do anything off of the ground and a teacher helped them do everything that they did...i tried dance with my daughter but she didnt like it to well...so back to gymnastics we must go...u have to find a place that really works with the kids and the teachers are not just there for a paycheck...i love the one my daughter goes to and so does she...and shes the shy type...but i think that helped her out alot...overall i would say go for it but check out the pace before hand
    kaleigh1984

Answer by kaleigh1984 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010