Do Sundays count during Lent?

OK. I was raised Catholic (Pagan now...nothing against Catholics...just not for me) and growing up, we did not count Sundays as being a part of Lent. As in: if you gave up popcorn for Lent, you could have popcorn on Sunday, 'cuz it wasn't a part of Lent. My mom said it had something to do with every Sunday being a "little Easter", and if you count from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday...it is 40 days withOUT counting Sundays.

So, my questions:
Is this a common practice? do/did other families do this? or just my family?
Is this an actual teaching? Or some malarkey my mom made up so she didn't have to go 40 days without chocolate?
Was my mom just playing "lawyer ball"?

(PS, Actual answers only, please. LittleMissCatholicBasher(s), keep your opinions to yourself...no one gives a damn.)

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's true, Sunday's are feast days so fasting and abstinence are not required.

From Catholic Answers: Lent ends when the evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday begins, because the Mass of the Lord’s Supper ushers in the Holy Triduum, a liturgical season in its own right and the shortest of the liturgical year. As for the Lenten penances, those are voluntary practices that people take up as personal devotions in addition to the penances required by the Church on the Fridays of Lent. As voluntary penances can be voluntarily set aside, taking a break from them on Sundays in honor of the Lord’s Day is perfectly fine. That said, the Sundays of Lent are indeed part of the Lenten season.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I grew up Episcopalian and we observed Lent. I would give up candy and gum. Sundays were always exempt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Might I say,that's a very Christian attitude you got there! I'm guessing that you decided that Chrisianity wasn't for you based on all the BS involved,so I guess you answered your own question,hmmm?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Of course Sundays "count" as part of Lent! I've been a Catholic my whole life & NEVER heard anyone say that! lol Its almost funny to me, sorry but it is. I went to Catholic school too so believe me it was ingrained in our brains all these rules about Lent.
    Anonymous

• Actually, I've heard of this. In fact, a fairly devout Catholic family (one of my dd's friends at Catholic school) told us about it. I wasn't raised that way, so I know nothing about it. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I'm not sure.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Catholic and I have never heard that rule. Easter Sunday doesn't count.

I have always been encouraged instead of giving up something, give something. Like time to a charity, extra Mass during the week, a rosary or something along those lines. We already give up meat on Friday there is no need to give up something else. We need to give and share with others. If we give up chocolate give the money we would spend on a candy bar to charity. Don't end Lent being a skinnier Catholic, end it being more in touch with God.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• anime_mom619, I haven't heard this, but there may be some people who observe it. Unless it is in the Catechism I wouldn't take it as what Catholics practice. I am not sure if it is or isn't in the Catechism.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• We also know that Lent lasts  40 days and begins on Wednesday, February 17 and Easter Sunday is April 4, if you count the days begining with Ash Wednesday and leave out the Sundays, the 40th day is Holy Saturday.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Thanks Erdavh, I never knew this.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Your Welcome, I only found out about 5 years ago. Personally, I find it easier to continue abstaining on Sundays so I don't know if that should be an argument to continue abstaining or not! :-D

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010