For any moms who didn't do CIO and had a baby that was NOT a good sleeper...

I don't do any of the "sleep training" methods. If my baby cries I pick her up and nurse her if she wants....she is 8 months old and wakes up 3+ times per night...I'm just curious if any other moms out there did this and when their baby started sleeping better at night. She hasn't been sleeping well for about 3 months...she's teething so I know that's part of it....I'd love to hear from any other moms who are/were in my situation! Thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did no sleep training and get up whenever she does. i try to give her a bed time though which usually fails. i had her sleeping through the night and in her crib. she is teething as well so now we sleep about three hours and on the couch.but she has been a TERRIBLE sleeper lately.
    Anonymous

• Two of my 3 kids were the same way (one just started sleeping through the night on his own at about 6 months old, so I went ahead and moved him out of my bed and into a crib). With my other 2 I just kept them in bed with me so that I could get some sleep. I currently sleep with my 7 1/2 month old. she wakes frequently during the night to nurse and I can just lift my shirt and latch her on and be right back to sleep. I won't try and wean her during the night until she is at least a year old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• DD is the same way, and the same age. If it wasn't for co-sleeping, I would have gone crazy a looong time ago! I don't have any advise, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Keep in mind that we *all* wake up at night at least to some degree. If your daughter is falling asleep by nursing, she'll look for that mechanism to soothe herself to sleep when she wakes. In other words, it may take a little work to get her to sleep without waking and it's not likely to happen on it's own in the short term. There are other methods to sleep training that do not require "CIO." For starters, do not let her fall asleep on the breast. You want to put her down when she's groggy but not sleeping. Help her learn to soothe herself. You can do this in a gradual way that does not include CIO.

Anonymous

• Between 18 mos and 24 mos is when DS started sleeping much better and longer. He pretty much nightweaned himself by 24 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• With my oldest we had a 1 bedroom apt and so DH, DS and I all slept in the same room. When we moved we tried to put him in his own room just to see what would happen since he was 11 months. He slept through from like 10 pm to 6 am. Just this past weekend I put our younger son in with his older brother (he's 6 mo) but he still wakes up every 2 hours. After the first time he wakes up he stays in bed with DH and I.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• You're doing GREAT!

I tried every "sleep training" method there was...and NOT ONE worked. What DID work? Paying attention to my son's own sleep patterns, putting him down when he was sound asleep and dealing with him quietly and efficiently when he woke. He started sleeping longer.

Sleep training merely makes parents feel like they're doing something...the kids will sleep or not based on their own readiness.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2010