Do people look down on you for adopting a child of a different race?

My husband and I have started the adoption process. We are adopting from foster care in our county and are meeting a beautiful little boy next week. He's an African American child and that never crossed my mind, nor my husbands. I didn't see him as a black child, I saw him as a beautiful child that we couldn't wait to see. However, I was told by a black friend of mine how upset that child is going to be when they get older being raised by white people?! Is that the case? I would never want to hurt this child more than I'm sure he's already hurting but I didn't realize race was a big issue anymore, to be honest. So I'm still planning to pursue this child but I just wanted to know how many people are against adopting a child of a different race and what the big deal is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Adoption

• I don't think that most people do. I'm sure there are those who do, but I would not let that bother me. I personally know a black girl who was adopted by white parents, and she has turned out quite well. I also have friends who have adopted Korean children, and they are doing quite well. If we are to become a color blind society, seems to me that children who need loving homes would be a real good place to start practicing that concept. I say proceed with joy and gladness of heart!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My cousin is black, my family is very white. I don't see her as a color, I see her as my cousin. She loves all her relatives and we love her. We are her family, nothing changes that.
    Anonymous

• Race will only become an issue for himm growing up if other folks of his same ethnicity fill his head with that sort of propoganda. Sad to say that ANYONE would say those kinds of things.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I'm sure that little boy would love to have you and your husband for parents. I don't think color matters at all. People are always going to talk about something you do. I wouldn't worry about it. Also I think it is wonderful what you are doing. Just keep the state of mind you have and everything will be fine.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My Aunt adopted a Black boy thru Foster care They couldnt love him more They have arranged for him to go church with close black family friends they also plan activities for him that involve his culture It just depends how you plan to raise the child I guess
    Anonymous

• Good for you What ever feels good in your Heart Most familys looking to adopt want a white Newborn
    Anonymous

• My son is African American (I am white). If people have a problem with it that is their problem. Everyone will have something to say about it. We even have a local organization in the city I live in that is trying to pass a law against white people adopting African American children, it's crazy. The truth is, that even if they wanted to, there are not enough African American families to take in all of the African American foster children (95%of the kids in our county.) As long as you plan on educating him and involving him in his culture then great. I say who gives a shit what anyone says, do what's right for your family and raise your child not to be one of the idiots who only sees the color of ones skin.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• And I would tell that friend of yours if they are so concerned they should go adopt all of the unwanted African American children in foster care then. Or ask her if they should stay in foster care versus going home with a white family.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I think it's a plus that you have some African American friends. If you do adopt this little boy, maybe you could ask her to come along side and help you expose him to AA culture. I'm with you - I can't see letting kids go without families just because they have a different skin color/ethnicity.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• As white parents to a black child we didn't take this lightly nor we do now. We live in a very diverse neighborhood and are zoned for a public school that (besides being first academically in our county) has the most diverse student population in my state. There is almost an equal percentage of white children to black children and a high Asian population...among other ethnicity's. I made sure the teachers were also representative to my son's ethnicity. When choosing a doctor I prefer non white specialists. This helps broaden his internal knowledge that people who look like him are professionals. We buy books, movies, and cards with children who look like him.  We have friends and make sure to make connections with other African-American families and other non white families.  Our baby sitter is also black.  Vacations are planned so our locations have some black history or we know he is not going to be the only black

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2010