what should i do?

my 10 month son he crys if he is not with me.. and he is still breast feeding i tryed taking him off the breast milk, but when i do he crys.. i dont know what to do.. im pretty sure this is normal for a baby but i would like to know how to get him on the bottle and to sleep in his crib not with us, and when will he stop crying if i leave a room.. thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might need to hold strong honey to break him of sleeping in your bed and to being sometimes apart from you. you can retrain him to sleeping in his own crib. just takes a bit of patience.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• it will be extremely hard and tiring. but you have to be persistant and consistant. my daughter started out in bed with us and i had to transition to the crib. what i suggest is start pumping and put in the bottle. hold the bottle by your breast as if it was an extention of your breast. try two feedings a day to start once your child establishes thebottle try raising the amount of feedings by bottle.then once they are on the bottle,switch the contents. for crib sleeping start putting them in there crib for every nap, at night when your son wakes up for a feeding go sit on the couch and watch tv while you feed. instead of climbing in bed with him.when he falls asleep put him in his crib. if he gets back up and is not crying let him lay there awake for a bit so he can see its not that bad.when he starts to fuss get him, go in the livingroom until he falls back asleep, that way you have a distraction to stay awake, rather than
    lilsbiggestfan

Answer by lilsbiggestfan at 12:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• sitting in a dark room....just remember to be patient. they work at there own speed, oh and once he's on the bottle and can hold it on his own.you can just make him a bottle hand it to him and let him figure out what to do with it. makes it more interesting since it;s something new. goodluck
    lilsbiggestfan

Answer by lilsbiggestfan at 12:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• This is prime age for separation anxiety. Your baby needs to be close to you right now. Any chance you can just keep breastfeeding for 2 more months and then wean him to a cup a at year? I think it will be much easier on both of you then trying to wean him to a bottle now.
    If you can hang in there and really meet his needs now, in a couple of months he will be running away and you'll be chasing after him!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• At 10 months I would wean him straight from breast to a cup rather than working on him taking a bottle for a few months and having two transitions. He can have formula or breastmilk in a cup, but it will probably work better if you pump some and give him something he is familiar with in the cup (breastmilk) at least to start.

Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Weaning will probably make it harder. This is normal. I think in 2-3 mos, he'll probably be MUCH different. I'd keep things the way they are for now, if I were in your situation. Is there any reason you NEED to be apart, or NEED to give a bottle, such as school or work? If not, I would just wait it out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I also would say at this age, try a cup rather then a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• This is a bad time in age development to do all those things at once. try the cupfirst. give him time to adjust. this is separation anxiety age and the stress of major milestones so i think you should be patient until after the first birthday.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I'd choose ONE transition first...probably sleeping. There is a great article on drjaygordon.com on how to transition from the family bed. While he doesn't recommend it till a year, the technique DOES work for younger babies.

Once you've got him transitioned to his crib (and it will take time) then you can work on weaning...drop a feeding a week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2010