Can I choose not to have another colposcopy?

My doctor told me I had HPV when I got pregnant in 2008. They did a follow up PAP and then colposcopy after I had the baby to see if I still had it, which I did. Afterwards though, I got really depressed and felt like crap. That was in March 2009.
I know my doc will want me to have another PAP soon.. but can I refuse the colposcopy? I do not want to feel that way again. I know I am putting myself at "risk", but I am willing to take that chance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Health

• TMJ I was about to post the same thing, LOL

Colposcopy is NOT a colonoscopy. A colposcopy is when a speculum is inserted into your vagina to open the vaginal wall....a special microscope is used to look for any sores or odd cells and if necessary a biopsy is performed. A colposcopy is typicaly done when a pap comes back abnormal. I had an abnormal pap at the beginning of my pregnancy and a colposcopy is deemed safe after 20 weeks of pregnancy and that's when mine was done (biopsies are NOT done during pregnancy however)!

OP you can absolutely refuse the colposcopy if you so choose, but the point of them wanting to have you get them done regularly is that HPV ups your risk of cervical cancer and the colposcopy can catch it soon enough to give you an excellent chance at beating it!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Of course you can. Your Dr can refuse to see you again also if they want but you do not have to do anything your Dr says
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yes you can refuse anything you want

Answer by admckenzie at 12:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Did they tell you why they wanted to to do a colonoscopy? First HPV is not curable so you will "still have it" forever. It seems kinda strange for them to do a colonoscopy when it isn't needed to diagnose HPV . A blood test will do that most of the time.
    Personally, I'd be sure and refuse it unless they give you a REAL good reason why you need it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• do you think you felt bad b/c of the colonoscopy or b/c of the results? you can like other posters said, refuse any service. hpv is a virus, so in a sense it can always stay with you, but the reason for re testing is b/c hpv can and often does clear up on its own. i am more concerned about your overall health...are you eating well and taking good care of yourself? your baby needs you for as long as possible, and neglecting your health is not the way to make that happen.
    good luck with your health choices!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• you can refuse it but i advize against it i was diagnosed with hpv before i had kids & had a colposcopy & something else done needless to say after i had my son 5 1/2 yrs ago i was checked by the time i got pregnant with my 1st daughter in 06 it was gone completely & it's gone completely granted i went through it twice it's gone i don't have to worry about it the doctor had also said sometimes giving birth will clear it up.
    ALOUDWHISPER

Answer by ALOUDWHISPER at 1:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• colposopy not COLONoscopy ladies lol!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• coloscopy oops
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2010