What chores do you set for your children and what ages are they?

I have a 14 yr. old girl, 12 yr. old girl, 10 yr. old girl, and a 4 year old boy. I feel like I'm doing everything most of the time. I also feel like I nag all the time. They will clean their rooms when I hound them and do chores for me, again, with much nagging. They have been brought up pretty sloppy and I'm losing it. How do you handle chores with your children? How do you stay consistent -- consistently is my biggest challenge. I feel overwhelmed. Some advice would be great!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• well my kids arent old enough yet for chores, but my plans for chores are that once they are old enough they will have to clean their own room. but as far as the other house old duties, i dont plan on forcing them to wash dishes or other things, because they are the kids - im the mom and i just think thats mine and my husbands jobs. there job is to be kids. once they are teenagers, the only way i will be asking them to do dishes, take out the garbage, vacum or anything like that is if they want money for something thats not cheap for example. I might say sure but you have to do the dishes for mommy!! =)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have 3 kids. ages 9, 6 and almost 3 months...the 9 years old put dishes away, put her clothes away, runs the vacuum, and dusts...she doesnt do them everyday only when I ask...so really its not chores...it if Im busy doing something else she asks what she can do. my son who is 6 gets the cat food and water, put his clothes away, picks up toys, and get the trash out of the bathroom on trash day...and of course the 3 month old doesnt do anything....
    brankohl32

Answer by brankohl32 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have started getting my son to do chores and he is almost two. Nothing big. I hand him the cans to put in the trash can, he picks up his toys with me, he helps me gather laundry. We make it almost like play time and he loves helping.
    Anonymous

• I dont have chores for my daughter. I was just blessed with a daughter who naturally helps. I would give them small things to do like load the dishwasher or something and change it up every week. If they dont do it then they dont get privledges.
    Anonymous

• My son is 4. He cleans his room up daily, usually right before bedtime. He's put his dirty clothes in his basket since he could walk. Now he also likes to throw his dirty clothes in the washer when I'm doing laundry too. He likes to use the handheld vacuum to get stuff off of the carpet and enjoys setting the table for supper. That's about all that I let him do now.
    Anonymous

• My theory is, if they can mess it up, they can clean it. My daughter is 3 years old. She puts her dishes in the sink after she's done eating/drinking, she cleans her toys up before I vacuum, she can't make her bed herself but she keeps her blankets off the floor. She also brings her own pull ups and wipes, she is potty training herself right now. I adore these things about her. At 3 years old she's already learning to care for herself, her home, and her belongings!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• put a chore board on the refigerator, let the 3 oldest decide what their chores for the day are. 4 y o has different chores he is capable of handling. reward the chores for oldest by money (allowance) 4 y o stickers. if oldest cannot chose chose for them, if something isn't completed something is taken away phone, computer etc. the 4 y o can then turn his stickers into a trip to the dollar store, the 3 oldest will be the hardest, however, take a phone or computer away from that age group and you will get results. consistancy will make this work. just look at this as you are preparing them for life. life is full of expectations, limits, responsibility, and accountability. with work comes reward!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• my son is 4 and he knows he needs to keep his clothes picked up in his hamper, when it's laundry day he brings it into the living room, also that he is responsible for his toys, If I have to pick it up "its mine" for day again and it's a week, he also is to throw his trash away just his dishes in the sink and make his bed. He helps take the trash out but that he does voluntary.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My kids chores basically include cleaning up any messes they make in any room of the house. That means cleaning their rooms, cleaning up messes they make in the kitchen (like cleaning counters, sweeping the floor), putting dishes in the sink, throwing trash away, cleaning up the yard, cleaning any messes they make in other rooms, cleaning up their bathroom, doing their own laundry. They are 9 1/2, 8 and 7 (and, yes, they do their own laundry). They also empty the dishwasher when I ask, dust, sweep the floors, take the trash/recycling to the alley, etc when I ask. And help their little sister with stuff she can't do on her own.
    The 3 1/2 yo cleans her own room, folds her own laundry, puts dirty clothes in hamper, dirty dishes in sink, cleans up after herself, helps empty the dishwasher when asked, tries to sweep, loves to dust. I still have to hound them about their rooms but they are pretty good about doing the other stuf
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• my DD is under 2 so she doesnt have set chores, but she does help pick up her toys before bed & after bath. and sometimes she will help me sort laundry (she doesnt really know what shes doing, but its fun to watch haha). shes in a "i wanna help" stage but she isnt coordinated enough to do them.

do your older 3 get an allowance? i know when i was a pre-teen we didnt get our allowance if we didnt do our chores. my mom had us doing the dishes, taking out the trash, & our own laundry (if we didnt put it in the hamper). it might help "motivate" them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2010