Let me get this straight...

I called to see if my DH and I qualified for Daycare assistance since when school is out we have two kids to pay for. Well, We don't. BUT we could if we simply got a legal divorce. He could still live in my house and pay 'child support' but we could get the Daycare assistance we need. Really? WTH? No wonder people abuse the system. This is what they suggested we consider so they could help us! We are 2,000 a year over the limit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My BIL and SIL were told the same thing years ago when they needed daycare and financial assistance.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• That's asinine. I'm sorry you had to sit and listen to that.
    Anonymous

• That's screwed up. The government needs to get their act straight but it won't happen in our lifetime.
    Anonymous

• OMG.
    That is messed up. Encouraging divorce in a happy couple.
    I'm sure the government could benefit from that divorce too. Child Support would not only collect money, there are court fees, processing fees, etc. All of which take money out of your kids mouths. They can yank your husband around and abuse him too.
    Anonymous

• HA! I have a better one than that! My girlfriend is married and they have 4 children together, well...he ended up hurting his back and had to be off work for a few month. Workmans Comp wasn't quite enough to make ends meet to they went and applied for Food Stamps. Well, they told them that she would have to file for child support against her husband in order to recieve them...even THOUGH..they live together and are married! IS that just not ridiculous. The system drives me nutty.
    Anonymous

• that is silly. i could quit my job, divorse my dh and get full ride from PA.... i am not doing that because i have self respect. check other preschools. some will cut the cost if you cant afford it , some want you to work in the preschool (you must have a clean background) to make up that money. there are other ways...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• the system makes no sence at all....a few years ago i tried to get food stamps while i was in college......when i was in school we went 40 hours a week and they told me i had to work 20 hours on top of the 40 school hours......( i was working about 14-16) and they wouldnt help me
    juliak818

Answer by juliak818 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I highly doubt you were in classes for 40 hours a week. The max colleges let in enroll in is 19 credit hours (meaning 19 IN CLASS hours per week) You get 21 with special permission. So whatever, Julia. They probably were aware of this and therefore knew you were lying to abuse the system.
    Anonymous

• Anon, this is possible if she was in a trade school program, just not a university.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• that is retarded. and here (Indiana) that wouldn't work. everything is based off of HOUSEHOLD income. my SO and I aren't married. they have always taken into account his income, his two kids, our daughter, and his parents income when they were living with us. We have never needed daycare assistance, but we have recieved foodstamps, energy assistance, and medicaid.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2010