Why do they call it "tubes tied"??? (Are there really tubes involved)?

My doctor told me the went in my belly button and pulled whatever he needed to tied together but instead of tying them he burned each end...I have no idea what he was talking about but it has been 7 yrs. now and thank god all is good. He did a great job, I remember my follow up with him I had missed my period and he said uh oh you better take a pregnancy test...I would be very embarrased if you are pregnant...I wasn't pregnant...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Back in the day, the fallopian tubes were tied off. Now they are clamped or cauterized. I guess the phrase just stuck no matter the procedure. It's technically called a Tubal Ligation, but tubes tied are the layman's term.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• yes...fallopian tubes
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yes, the tubes that are 'tied' are the fallopian tubes which carry the egg from the ovaries to the uterus. Fertilization of the egg takes place in the fallopian tub and the fertilized egg then implants in the uterine wall. There are different methods of doing a tubal ligation, but all involve blocking access through the fallopian tube so no sperm get through to fertlize an egg.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I gotta ask hon,but how do you not know about your own reproductive organs? I'm not trying to be mean by asking this.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yeah, they close off the fallopian tubes so that no eggs can get down to your uterus and get fertilized. Sometimes they cut the tubes, cauterize the edges shut, then put a little clip on the cut ends, too, just to make sure. Sometimes they just do one or two of the proceedures. If they do all 3, it's almost impossible for it to be reversed.
    Anonymous

• My MIL's doctor's "embarrassment" just signed on to play college football ;o)
    Anonymous

• they go through an incision in belly button and on the bikini like - mine are burned and stapled shut.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• how on earth are women so uneducated about their own bodies!?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Please, please go get a book on reproductive organs.

*shudder*

Wonder how many other women on here don't realize that they have FALLOPIAN TUBES?

Wonder how many of them should NOT be having children?
    When I was 7, my mom got pregnant with my sister. She got me a book accurately describing, in DETAIL, with PICTURES just exactly how that process happens.

How do grown ass women WITH CHILDREN not know this???
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2010