School showers. Do your kids use them?

My kids have first period physical ed class. They are not allowed to shower after class? Yuck? Smelly? My kids are very clean people and are really upset they are not allowed to use the showers at school.

The excuse: no time for that. They must go on the rest of the school day feeling nasty. They DO apply antiperspirant/deodorant. Thank goodness for that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• nope.they don't give them enough time anymore.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Our school schedules gym class the last half of the day for this very reason. There isn't enough time to shower and they don't want the kids smelling all day.

However, my son does have baseball practice at 6:15 a few mornings a week. If they get out in time he runs home and takes a quick shower, if they run late he has to rely on his shower from the night before, use deodorant, and hope for the best. He also usually carries a towel in his gym bag so he can at least wipe the sweat off before he has to put on his school clothes. Oh, and he usually carries fresh underwear because they are soaked with sweat. YUCK!
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• ugh. I would complain, they should be given enough time to get clean.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is in middle school this year..7th grade..and during orientation they specifically told us the kids were required to shower unless they had PE last period of the day. My daughter was very concerned because she did not want to shower in front of the other girls...she is not very...umm...developed yet compared to a lot of them & was self conscious about it. Much to her relief she got last hour PE & never has to do it. But I agree, they should shower if its early in the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My kids don't go to school... but if they did, I wouldn't allow them to shower in school.

When I was in middle school, our teacher/coach would pull up a chair and WATCH us all shower. Her reasoning? She needed to "make sure" all of us showered so she wouldn't get stink complaints from the other teachers.

It was just creepy..... and when parents complained to the school about her behavior, it fell on deaf ears.

When my kids are 18, can choose whether they want to do it or not, and have enough MMA training behind them through their dad to take care of any weirdo "lookey-los"... THEN they're free to use public/group showers.
    Anonymous

• anon 8:24 -- it's possible they had problems or even a rape in the showers and the teacher was required to be there. That is the type of thing they don't want to tell the kids so they don't freak out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2010