starting my baby on cereal...

i'm about to start my baby on cereal and have a couple questions. when i feed it to her, does that count as a usual feeding? also, how may times a day should she get that? do i give her a normal bottle throughout the day like i usually do?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mine out on rice cereal once a day...about 2 tblspoons with formula or juice....until I was sure he could handle it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The first year, she's still going to get most of her nutrients from either breast milk or formula... The cereal is really just to start "practicing" eating regular food. You can start her out on rice cereal once or twice a day, but don't expect her to eat a ton of it, and as soon as she stops eating it, just "top her off" with your regular bottle.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• IMO, cereal is garbage. I'd start with a fruit or veggie. But to answer your question, it does NOT count as a feeding. You nurse or give a bottle first, then offer the solids, with a spoon. It's just for practice basically. Solids before 12 mos always come after a nursing or formula feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Personally Iwould skip cereal. It tastes awful and has no nutritional value and can be very constipating and hard to digest. I'd go direct to normal table food. Less fussy and far easier. I'm waiting until my baby can sit unassited, has lost the tongue thrust reflex (which means a more mature digestive system = less tummy aches), and can actually grab food so I can skip the purees and ignore the over priced jar food.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son loved the cereal. Rice cereal is not that hard to digest its make-up is like that of a fruit. It is a good first food. It is not nutritional garbage.
    The AAP, AAFP and the WHO all recommend single grained rice cereal because it poses little allergen risk, is easy to digest and is nutritous.
    They also say that you don't have to feed it....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010