My Midwife Just told me I have Group B Streptococcus

Let me start with my midwife is not very helpful, she told me to go get some blood tests done, didn’t tell me what they we’re for or if they were common. 2 weeks later the results came in she tell me I have Group B Streptococcus. She didn’t bother to tell me what it was or explain how I got it. I’ve called her office several times to get some more information and she keeps blowing me off. She proscribed me antibiotics for the next 10 days. And said that they would retest me at 35 weeks. Really you’re going to let me sweat this out for 25 weeks? Is there a way I can get her to test again sooner?
And I am terrified the information I have been able to get of the internet is scaring the hell out of me. What should I do? Should I be this scared?

Needless to say I will be getting a new midwife soon. It’s just that we just moved a week a ago and haven’t had the time to look around yet.

Waiting2BMommy

Asked by Waiting2BMommy at 2:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They usually don't do a strep B test until 35 weeks and then they do a swab outside your rectum and vagina. I would find another doctor/midwife to help you...sounds like this one is not the one for you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i was in labor when they found out i had strep b...they put the antibiotics in my IV. They say it can cause problems for the baby if you don't take care of it. That was nine years ago so i don't remember.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• you have a strange midwife.
    Anonymous

• all it means is you will get iv antibiotics when you deliver. many women have it, its a naturally occuring bacteria, that some women have higher levels of. youand baby will both be fine. im not sure why she would retest, bc you will test positive.

w both my pregnancies they did the group b strep test in the first round of tests, not at 35 weeks, but al doctors are different.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My sister had it with her second child. Its usually not a problem as long as they know you have it. Its when they don't test for it that problems start to arise. We can hand the strep b just fine but babies can have a hard time fighting it. But as long as they know you have it and you are treated with iv drugs in the hospital it should be okay. Also I agree with the first post if I was you I would get a new mid wife. They are paid to help you and answer your questions and you should know that you are in good hands. Sounds like you have plenty of time to find yourself a good midwife that will take good care of you.
    Anonymous

• Carrying group B Strep is normal - about 1 in 3 of adults do in the intestines, and around 1 in 4 women in the vagina. It can come and go, so it won't always be the same people carrying it.

Knowing about it before you give birth is good news - if you know you carry it, then you can take preventative medicine (intravenous antibiotics once labor starts). This is hugely effective at minimizing the risk of GBS infection in babies. It's when you don't know about it that it's MORE worrying!

Check out http://www.gbss.org.uk for more info
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i wouldn't worry about it now. and def find a new midwife ASAP! they shouldn't have even tested this early.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It's very common and no big deal. I was positive with my first pregnancy, negative with my second. If you do test positive for it at a later test, you'll just be given antibiotics via IV usually during your labor and delivery. Don't stress yourself out about it!
    Anonymous