Does the RNC face more scrutiny because Steele is black?

RNC Chairman and designated GOP sparkplug Michael Steele finds himself the center of attention once again this week -- this time for an interview published in February's issue of Washingtonian magazine in which he charges his critics with racism.

"Up In The Air" by Paul West, Steele implies that he and the RNC face more scrutiny because he is black:

Steele acknowledges that at times he has a tendency to take things too far. "And I get checked on that, just as when I was a young boy and I pushed the envelope too far and my Mama was there to check me."
But there's an edge to his voice when he talks about a double standard that he believes has been applied by his critics, and he posits racism as the cause: "I don't see stories about the internal operations of the DNC that I see about this operation. Why? Is it because Michael Steele is the chairman, or is it because a black man is chairma

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So tired of the race card. YES there are racist people. There always WILL be stupid people of ALLLLL races. But its NOT the majority. Although I DO think MOST people are sick of THIS.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Race card? oh boy...
    Anonymous

• momof is right. I'm sick of it. I don't know why practically everything has to boil down to race.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• It boils down to everyone's denial that many things are about race.
    Anonymous

• No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The race card is getting soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo OLD!!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I read something about this a while back and no Steele it is not your black skin...im with the other ladies the card is played to death
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• If that's the card Steele is going to pull when "the going gets tough," then he is going to end up being lumped in with the likes of the whiny Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson! To reach the position he has achieved (JUST like Obama and every other black CEO or corporate executive), should PROVE that you are better than that, and it's time to rise above the old and tired excuse!

The same goes for women or any other minority group that has struggled to get ahead and break through the glass ceiling!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• If that's the card Steele is going to pull when "the going gets tough," then he is going to end up being lumped in with the likes of the whiny Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson! To reach the position he has achieved (JUST like Obama and every other black CEO or corporate executive), should PROVE that you are better than that, and it's time to rise above the old and tired excuse! The same goes for women or any other minority group that has struggled to get ahead and break through the glass ceiling!

They are the exception not the rule

Anonymous

• This is why I refuse to raise my biracial granddaughter black. I don't want her to use racist as a cop out when things go wrong in her life. I want her raised strong and not wimpy always blaming others for whats wrong in her life.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2010