what's the right age for potty training and how do i do so..

my daughter is 22 months old and i tried toilet training using the todler seat but she's afraid of the toilet

docmamy

Asked by docmamy at 3:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Then she is not ready. There is no marical age. It all has to come to when your child is ready.

Can she dress and undress herself?
    Can she tell you potty or poop?
    Is she dry for more the 2 hrs?
    Does she hide when she goes in her diaper?
    Will she complain her diaper is wet/dirty?

Those are some questions to ask to see if she is ready. But yes if she is afraid of the potty then do not try and push it. It will only make things harder and her more scared of the potty.
    Anonymous

• if she's afraid of the big potty, try out a portable potty! I wouldnt bother with one that has bells and whistles, but having her very own potty might influence potty training if you think she is ready. Does she know when she goes? can she hold it in? does she want her diaper off as soon as she goes or if she is about to go? does she answer yes/no when you ask if she has to go/went? does she have an interest when you go?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I just waited for my kids to show interest. I tried to make it fun when they were learning.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Let dd pick out a potty she wants and panties she wants. It's hard in the begining but within 3 days they get the idea! If not, she's not ready! I also asked her about every 20 mins if shehad to go and made her sit 20 mins after drinking....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I think she's a great age for it. I'm not a big believer in waiting for children to be fully "ready"/interested, whatever. We trained our daughter at 19 months and she had no real clue about the potty before that (played around on her potty seat, but that was it). We just went straight to undies. IF you do that, and then wait for them to start having an accident to move them there, then they get what it's for much more easily than if you sit them there waiting for something to come out. If your daughter is frightened, though, I would DEFINITELY get a stand-alone potty chair. You can get the Target brand for around ten bucks. My girls both started on that and then soon after preferred the ring on the big toilet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2010