Was I wrong to end things with someone who lied and said they were divorced and were really only separated?

I have known this person for 10 plus years and I recently ran into him,he told me that he was divorced and we exchanged #'s. We have been talking a lot and seeing each other as well,I just learned that in 2008 he filed a temporary restraining order on her and filed for divorce.However it was never finalized.I know that they are not living together at the moment.When I asked him if he was sure he was divorced he said im separated,I told you that.There is no way that I would have given him my # had he really told me that.I told him that I didnt want to see him again,and he told me to have a great life.I would like to know how other women would have handled this,and im also wondering why be separated for years but not divorced.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• You are soo not wrong. he lied to you when he should have been honest, less he had something to hide. so no, you did right
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Married is married.

When I was single, I met a guy on yahoo. He said that he was single. After talking for weeks, we finally decided to meet and have dinner. During our conversation over dinner, he told me he was actually separated. I told him that I couldn't date him and ended contact that night (on my end, at least).

He called about two/three weeks later. He said I was a perfect catch and that he didn't want to lose me. I said "Who are you again?". and hung up. Never heard from him again.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• If he lied about this what else is he lying about? You did the right thing.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• you're right b/c separated is not divorced. Almost does not count! lol I've known men that have said they are separated and then they end up going back to their wives. You don't want to end up being the other woman
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 4:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• No your not wrong separated doesnt mean divorced they are still legally married and you wouldnt want to be wrapped up in that.
    Anonymous

• It was just oral sex. (It was oral sex AND sex) The texts were completely innocent. (Even though I was asking her to have dinner & drinks with me & told her how sexy she looks) I used a condom. (But didn't really) I have never cheated. (Just kissed someone)

Catch my drift? You did RIGHT by yourself and by the WIFE too. I wish more women would be so wise.....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010