how bad can potatoes get?

I have two bags of potatoes, one russet potatoes and the other new potatoes (red). I have been traveling quite a bit and my red potatoes have sprouted, can i still use them? and if they aren't rotten are they still good, its been like 3 weeks? maybe longer for the russet potatoes.

childofGod51509

Asked by childofGod51509 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Potatoes, when stored properly, can be good for a long time. I refuse to buy any potatoes from any grocery store anymore - I grow my own, enough to last til spring. Sure, by now we've got some sprouting, and some are getting a little dehydrated & wrinkly, but they're still perfectly good to eat. If they look fine on the outside, I cut in half, if it looks good, it's good - if it's bad inside it obviously gets tossed. 3 weeks is nothing for potatoes, they sometimes sit that long in the stock room of the grocery store before you buy them (I used to work in a grocery store, 10 years wasted there but came away with a lot of info!).
    Anonymous

• If they aren't rotten they are perfectly fine! Just chop off the sprouts! I had some for like a 2 months (I know, ew) and they were black and mushy...!
    Anonymous

• I think unless they have black spots in them, and they aren't moldy, they are fine. I just use my peeler and dig out the sprouted areas.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• As long as they don't have stuff oozing out of them or smell, they should be ok. I would not use them if they are black and mushy though. Just cut off the sprouts and green spots.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2010