how to get your DH to help around the house? How to get him to help you clean any suggestions please lay them on me lol!

really .......do men have a since of cleanliness year around or just one burst a year lol please give me suggestions on how to make my DH to help me around this house...got to go clean more be back on for the suggestions ( in advance thank you for your input well appreciated)

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• honeslty I stopped doing the dishes and after awhile he just does them now. He also does the was. We have a communty wash room and I can't carry the heavy containers, and does the manly trash thing. He even recycles! he's so wonderful. but it took 8 years to find our way on chores lol.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My husband and I divided the house up. Since he works part time and attends school part time I only gave him one room, the kitchen.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 4:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My husband is the cleaner and I am the lazy one. Just don't do stuff and if he doesn't like it he will clean it himself.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I did all the cleaning inside because my husband took the trash out & was supposed to mow the lawn weekly...(we both work full time) When I saw that he would go 3 or 4 wks without mowing (plus the cleaning was much harder/time consuming/daily chore), I finally asked him to help me clean. His response was, "I don't want to clean! I HAVE TO BE IN THE MOOD TO CLEAN!" So I shouted back, "WE HAVE LIVED IN THIS HOUSE FOR A YR & A HALF. TELL ME, WHENNNNN WILL YOU BE IN THE MOOD TO CLEAN?!?!?!?!?!?" He promptly got up to help.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• no sex for him till he does his part, my dear!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• lol...since he works im usually the one doing the inside of the house and he will do the outside like mowing and raking and all since he works. its works for me!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I stopped doing it all. If you think about it we work during the day like them, and they get a break when they come home, and we end up still doing a lot of the things around the house. It's nice to have this responsibility shared, especially if your like me (not a super mom) and can't get it all done within the day.
    I stopped doing the dishes, so he chips in a lot more than he used to. If I ask him to do specific things he'll do them as well. I"d rather have to ask, then for him not to do stuff.
    Anonymous

• My DH does quite a bit around here, but no where near as much as I do...when I'm feeling overwhelmed and there's lots to do I'll just come out and ask *nicely* ... "We need to empty the dishwasher, get the kids bathed and put away the laundry, which would you like to do?" He happily picks one and we're on our way. Getting him to just know when something needs to be done and doing it without me asking is a tall order for most men, IMO... I can walk in the house after being out and he'll tell me he cleaned up and I can't see any difference whatsoever, lol...for instance, he would never notice that the stove top is dirty or that there are crumbs on the cabinet, etc., they need a little direction, absolutely NO nagging, and as long as you can be flexible about WHEN it gets done, you should be ok. Treat him like your partner and not a child that has to do his chores and they usually respond ok. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I just read some responses, do not withhold sex, that is very very bad for a relationship, withholding affection/sex/etc. is a form of abuse, seriously...also, be careful with just stopping doing something and assuming he'll pick up the slack....I know in my house my DH wouldn't notice I didn't do the dishes for probably 2 days, yet it would take me ONE meal to be SEETHING angry that he wasn't noticing and doing it and without a doubt, my mood would reflect that at best, and at worst, I would BLOW....don't play games, its better to just communicate, and again, nicely.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have made a weekly chart, listing what needs to be done on what days. When every he or I are able to do something we look at what day it is and see what needs to be done for that day or see if something wasn't done the day before. When a task is completed we check it off. Sometimes it seems like nothing gets done and other times everything goes well. I have found that I can live with things not being done every week, so by the second week things are usually getting done. As for the meals I cook 99.9% of the time and I will let the dishes sit until someone else does them---that's ok with me. I do my laundry and the younger kiddos. Everything else is fair game. Good Luck hope you find what works for you.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2010