6 months pregnant and a job interview tomorrow

I am going to school for medical assisting, and I got a call from a medical center nearby for an interview. This would be really great, and it seems like a great place to work, but I am afraid they will automatically disqualify me because they will see I am pregnant (it's REALLY obvious) and not want to have to deal with that (you know, because I will have to take time off work to have the baby, etc). Do you have any advice for me that could help them see I am really serious about the job?

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 5:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• I got a new job while I was pregnant with my first. One place did try to tell me how I wouldn't be able to do the job because I wouldn't be able to do certain things, but their competitor hired me. I think if it is obvious you may want to be prepared to answer questions about how you will manage after the baby is born and anything you can do to limit your time out for appointments, etc. I wouldn't bring this up necessarily, but if they ask or you feel they are trying to ask you in a round about way you may want to have an answer ready to let them know how serious and prepared to work you are. GL!
    Anonymous

• I can only advise to be professional and present yourself well
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• can they do that?..automatically pull you bc you're prego that is?..i'm with the previous post, be professional and present yourself well..good luck!
    Anonymous

• It is against the law for them to discriminate against you because you are pregnant. I believe it is against the law for them to even ask you about it as well. It should not come up in the interview at all. I suggest you do a little research on this before the interview.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• It is illegal for them to DQ you for being pregnant I know for a fact, I got DQ'd for a job after they hired me because I had to fill out the medical card and had to put pregnant on it. I threatened to sue and turn them into the state and they all of the sudden reconsidered.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Of course it's illegal for them to not consider you for employment because you are pregnant, BUT, in all likeliness they will, but they will say "they found a different candidate that better matched the requirements for the position."

Instead of trying to secure a permanent position at this point in your pregnancy, I would seriously consider trying to obtain short-term assignments with an Employment/Temp Agency. Employers really like temp agency employees because they are not "forced" to keep employees that do not end up working out, and more often than not, temp assignments turn into permanent assignments once the employer can see what you are capable of doing!

Maybe after you give birth, a company will consider you for permanent employment?! It certainly can't hurt, and you'll make MUCH more money temping than in retail! The better agencies even offer medical benefits to their regular temps!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I wish you luck on your interview. However I got fired from one job for me being fired. Then I ended up getting hired at another place. Yes its against the law for not to hire you because your pregnant but it happens everyday! I went on 10 interviews before I got another job.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010