Carrers, later in life?

I'm 41 years old, and 3 of my children are grown, and I have one that is a teenager. I've pretty much been a SAHM all of these years. I homeschooled for 7 years. I've also worked a lot of retail jobs. Currently I work as an associate at a Lowe's. My job is OK, but I don't make as much money as I would like, and the hours are crazy. Would anyone care to share with my what career you are currently in, and how you came about being in that career? I'd especially like to hear from those who started later in life.

LilyofPhilly

Asked by LilyofPhilly at 5:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am not where your at now but my mom had to start all over and started at home depot about 15 years ago, she moved up form being a cashier to the accounting office about 8 years ago or so. I am not sure if lowes runs anything like home depot but if they do there is the potential to move into a different areas with more stable hours and better pay. My mother in law did the same thing at fred meyers. The only draw back for them was they both have to be at work at 4 or 5 am but they are off by 1 and they both love it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I was a little younger than you when I went back to college and got a degree in accounting. You can go the college route, or just get some training through a community college or career training center - you may qualify for assistance and some places will guarantee job placement after you graduate. There are plenty of fields you can enterr later in life and do just fine - medical, office assistant/secretarial, accounting, etc. Try to figure out what type of job you would be happy doing and then find out what type of training you need. GL!
    Anonymous

• Lily, it's me! lol I am 45. I think you know I have three kiddos, only one at home. I am beginning an adventure in returning to school (on line with no baby on my lap....lol) to earn my BA in Interdisciplinary Education K-8. I realize that teaching may not provide me with what others feel would be a beneficial 'career' but teaching is some thing I have always wanted to do. Life got in the way. No more! What are you interested in? What are you passionate about? Think about that and go from there! You can do what ever it is you feel you need and want to do. Don't forget that! It is never too late!

FromAtoZ

Answer by FromAtoZ at 5:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• OP--Do you have a 4-year college degree? If so, you could consider either per diem substitute teaching or working as an Associate Teacher!

I'm 41 too, but earned my degree when I was 21, and then worked for 12 years until I had my first child at which point I became a SAHM. 8 years later, I went back to work as an Associate Teacher in a neighboring school district. I make an EXCELLENT salary (MUCH better than retail!), and get full medical benefits--plus paid holidays, vacations and summers off!!

I work with students with special needs and those with IEP's, assist the classroom teacher as well as run my own intervention classes with 30 other students needing extra help. You do NOT need a teaching certification at this level--just a 4-year degree, and with your life experience you'd be a great candidate! :o)

Look up your school district's website for vacancies--even mid-year needs arise! Good luck!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• P.S. I'm in Pennsylvania too--Lehigh Valley area! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My mom went back to work at 46, but she already had a degree in design at the time. She created a new portfolio, and eventually found work at a linen company, where she designed fabrics and table linens. That company went under, but then she went to work for an upholstery company, again managing fabrics, and later for a tile company where she was a design consultant.

If there are any particular hobbies or skills you have, those can be parleyed into a job. During her time out of the workforce, Mom did a lot of interior design for our house, and she sewed a lot of my school clothes...so that kept her hand in.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I started my current career when I was 17 years old, at 19 i graduated from a 2 year veterinary science programs which gave me many diverse skills including pharmacy technician

Pharmacy technician pays more.

The pay is not bad for the time i actually took in a classroom to learn the skills.

Im currently looking into accounting because I want to stay home with my little ones, this college has courses to get you into a new career cheap, takes about 8 weeks,its online and government approved so you can use financial aid Rio Salado Community College

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• AtoZ...I didn't know you were going back to school for teaching!! I just had to put off my plans to do the actual school program to help care for my gpa :(

However, I love substitute teaching. Love it! Lily, consider going to school. If you think you could love teaching (or just like it) many places will pay for you to go to school if you will agree to teach in a "difficult" or "problem" area for a little while (2-4 years).

What do you like doing? Working with people? The interaction?

Most careers will require schooling...so think about what you would like. X-ray tech? Something in a medical field?
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 12:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010