Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I wrote my last check to the utility company and sent it up with my SO after a month of telling them it was $200 higher than usual, and getting nowhere, I wrote it out for $406 (almost threw up) and they sent it back and said the bill was only $274.58 but now I have no check to write out--can I use white out on it??

Answer Question

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 5:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 17 (3,982 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • No I dont think you can use white could go get a money order to mail or get some temp checks from your bank.

    Answer by ria7 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • NO !

    Answer by lightbulbe at 5:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • no you cant, your best bet is to order more quickly and get a money order in the mean time. Do they take debit cards or checks by phone? mine will normally do a check online or by phone you just need your routing number and account number off your check.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • Yeah you cna't do that. But I have to say that a utility company returning the check because it was more than what you owed sounds really odd to me. Anytime I ever did that the extra was simply credited to my the next month I wouldn't owe aything or only owe a few dollars....

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • I don't know why they didn't just keep it and CREDIT you for your next month's bill?!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 5:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • You may be able to fix it and then initial it. I have done this a long time ago, so regulations may have changed. I have also done the phone check thing, you just need your check there to read the numbers from.

    Answer by Bmat at 6:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • Bmat is right. Put one line threw the errors and initial next to them. There's still a chance that it might not go through but it's better than being late.

    Also can you pay online or over the phone? I think that's BS that they returned it to you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • Go to the bank and ask for a couple temporary checks. I've done it before.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • I worked at a bank in the past. You cannot white it out. get a money order or temporary checks. Order someone more checks.

    Answer by oliviahank at 11:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.