am I feeding my 6 month old too much food?

He does cereal with fruit mix in the morning half a jar of veggie for lunch and the rest of the veggie and some meat at night! he still nurses 4 to 5 times a day for about ten mins each time. I just want to make sure hes getting enough of the good stuff (Breast Milk). when he turns his head and closes his mouth I stop feeding him.

Sbahns

Asked by Sbahns at 5:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No that is perfectly fine.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Sounds like you're doing just fine, and he seems happy, cute too btw!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• you are AOK honey
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Nurse first, solids after and he can have ALL the solids he wants. But they MUST follow nursing every time. If you're not nursign first, he could get constipated and you could see a severe supply impact. Solids before nursing also lead to premature weaning.

Nurse before solids and he can eat all he is now and MORE if he wants it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• thank you MrsLeftlane
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 5:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• You are not supposed to feed baby food at this point for nutritional reasons... It is meant for experimenting and getting baby used to the taste only. It is also highly recommended that you not start baby on any meat until at least 9 months old because it is much harder to digest.

I wouldn't personally do what you are doing. It just doesn't sound healthy to me.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 6:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Itsonono and you have evidence to back your "you are not supposed to feed baby food at this point for nutritional reasons"??

Solids are definately okay and encouraged at 4-6 months and her baby is in fact 6 months old. And several brands of jarred food make meat flavors in the "1st stage" smaller jars without combinations and again are FINE to give to a baby at this stage.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yeah. Besides my 3 completed parenting classes AND my pedis advice, check all over the boards. Its pretty much stated everywhere.

It is NOT meant for anything but to be completely experimental at this point. Baby should be getting all of their nutrients from formula, not baby food.

I did not say it wasnt FINE I just stated that feeding a complete jar or two a day isnt recommended. Get your facts straight over what I said and what youre trying to claim I said.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 8:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The point is she asked if she was feeding baby too much food. I personally think she is feeding baby WAY too much jarred food and needs to give more formula, but thats me. You dont have to agree.

You are saying "solids are definitely encouraged" as am I, however you are coming across as quite rude and twisting what I am actually saying. Pedi's will strongly recommend baby start food at 6 months but be only on veggie's for awhile. Wait for meats, wait for fruits. The reasoning? Meats are hard to digest, fruits will get them used to sweet flavors, and at this point it is not for nutritional reasons. Primary source of vitamins need to be formula. I personally only gave my daughter about 1/4 of a container of baby food per day. Thats more than enough to be what she needs at this point, and her pedi has no complaints. She had a little rice cereal in the beginning but weve opted to cut that out entirely as well. She doesnt need it
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 8:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Breastmilk should be your baby's main source of nutrition until the baby is 12 months. Nursing 4-5 times a day isn't making sure he is getting enough of the good stuff. A 6 month old baby should still be nursing 8 or even more times a day.

Your baby's brain is doing bunches of growth from 6-12 months and needs the nutrients from human milk. Veggies and baby cereal aren''t great at growing brains. Your baby doesn't need baby cereal or jar food at all. He can have small amounts of fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado and he can feed himself.

I know you are a first time mother and didn't know. Up the breastfeeding for brain growth, chuck the baby food, and feed small amounts fork mashed foods he can feed himself.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website. It has info on starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010