What is a low calorie food (or reasonable calorie food) that will bring up my sugar if I've inadvertently not eaten enough?

I have 8 month old twins that I'm still breastfeeding but I am trying to lose weight by counting calories. I had lost 61 pounds 5 months ago. I had stopped trying and just started up again on this past Saturday. I have always had a hard time finding a happy medium with food. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of girl. So today I find that I've obviously not eaten the right combination of foods or not enough because my sugar has dropped and I feel awful. What is a quick way to raise my sugar without completely killing my calorie count for the day?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 5:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Fruit is a great way to add sugar without killing your healthy eating, and BTW you need to eat at least 1600 calories in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle if it is lower than that you will shut your metabolism down and eventually gain a lot of weight and feel like crap on top of it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Have a serving of juice and then a healthy snack to maintain. You can also go to the diabetic section in drug stores and pharmacy areas and get Glucose tablets, they have 4 grams of carbs per tablet.

Also if you are breastfeeding, especially twins, now is NOT the time to be counting calories. Most women need a minimum of 1500 calories a day and those breastfeeding need an average of 300 more. The nutritional value of your milk changes if you don't eat a balanced diet....and it's TOO low in sugar for your babies if YOU are having low blood sugar.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I'm doing this all with the blessings of my physician. I'm consuming almost 2000 calories a day and still able to lose weight. All I needed to know was a reasonable food to bring my sugar up quickly until I can get dinner cooked. This isn't happening all the time just right now.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• in the hospital they used to give patients orange juice or a regular soda...since the soda is out id try the juice. fruits are a great way to sustain your sugars for a longer period of time, since they are a lot of fiber they take longer to digest than the juice. so for a longer term effect you can try more of them. however....since i have to watch carbs, i have to be aware of WHICH fruits i eat. hope this helps!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 11:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2010