My thoughts, Yours?

I finally found a major difference between Conservatives and Liberals.

Conservatives want to FIX the government and to continue paths of our Fathers. They believe in the Constitution like a bible (non changing)and do not see any reason to change it.

Liberals on the other hand seem to have been brought into this world to change it, to always look to the future with whatever they think they should make it into. The constitution is old and outdated to them and should be changed and molded to fit their ideals assisting in the changes they want.

There are many shades to this but these are differences that shape the thoughts of these groups.

Your thoughts?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The way I read that is that conservatives are resistant to progress/change, and kind of short sighted, while in general liberals will take a long term approach to things. As in "we WILL run out of oil at some point, why not invest in alternative fuels now", whereas the conservatives will say "we have plenty of oil in Alaska RIGHT NOW, so why don't we drill that instead". Just an example, but I think it applies to almost every topic.

Personally, I think the long term vision is the better one, but that's just me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I think SLOW to change is more correct for conservatives. I also don't think they see the Constitution as an unchangeable Bible because if they did, not ONE amendment would be valid in their view. That includes the Bill of Rights, which are after all the first ten amendments (corrections) to the Constitution. We all know that's certainly not the case.

I think your definition of liberalism is dead on target, but I don't think you gave conservatives nearly enough credit. Or I'm giving them too much.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• sigh, that is all i got for you tonight
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I don't think that Conservatives are resistant to change. I think it is more that they try to follow the constitution as it is written. They are not trying to walk all over it, and trying to change it at the drop of a hat. I think they also try to keep the Federal government in its place, which is NOT in our everyday life. They also believe in a little thing called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I think both parties have great things to bring to the table, and both of them have brought horrible things to the table, if that makes sense?
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 6:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• 29again has defined it best imo when it comes to conservatives and ill add that we do not want the foundation of it to be pulled out from under

liberal progressives esp are all about expanding government beyond its intended purpose basically handing them control of our lives..so I honestly do not see it so much as 'progress' . Handing our individualism,personal responsibilities and such over to the government..isnt what id define as progress..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Obviously the two sides of the spectrum are never going to agree about this one... All I know is that I grew up in probably THE most liberal country in the world, and the quality of life there is (on average, of course) SO much better than over here... I was in culture shock for a long time after I moved here. And please, save the "why don't you move back there then" comments, since that is the standard response I get. Just because I wasn't born here, doesn't mean I can't talk about the things I'd like to see changed, know what I mean?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Conservatives are realists

Liberals are idealists

That's how I view the major difference.
    Anonymous

• They believe in the Constitution like a bible (non changing)and do not see any reason to change it.

you haven't heard of the bill of rights? I am not a fan of slavery and appreciate my voting rights, thanks.

Anonymous

• I don't consider the constitution anywhere near the Bible...isn't that sacrilege or something??

Men wrote it and men are not perfect. They made lots of mistakes. Making provisions for slave owners was one of them......and the reason for amendments is we live in an ever evolving society...some things NEED to change

Aren't YOU for term Limits?? Isn't that CHANGE in our GOVERNMENT??

I think the founders had some great ideas and some not so much...

conservatives seem to view them as Gods.....I do not

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2010