As an add on to my last question: What happens if your child is found to be "gifted"...

We aren't interested in moving him up a grade, and he's already in the advanced classes offered at his school. So is there a point in having him tested?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he is having issues in school you might want to reconsider moving him up boredom is a big key with gifted kids he needs to be engaged.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• where do you take them to get tested for that kind of stuff?
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 6:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• You may want to look into enrichment classes, to keep your child intellectually stimulated. The Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University is a fantastic resouce: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

I would look into full time gifted, or other academically advanced, programs: www.greatschools.org. If you are in Chicago, contact me offlist, and I will be happy to help you navigate the school system.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My sons were both extremely bored and got into trouble at school because they were finishing their assignments way ahead of the other kids and were talking in class. They were getting excellent grades but hated doing homework because they had already "mastered" what they were learning and found homework to be unnecessary. I still made them do it of course! Then they took the CoGat test (I dont know what its called in other states), and they both qualified for the Highly Capable program where they would go to a different school and be put in a classroom of other 4th and 5th graders who were highly capable like themselves. My oldest chose to do the pull-out program where he does one AP class a day in his current school because he didn't want to go to a different school, but my 11 year old decided to go to the school and it's been the best thing ever. Check into seeing if your district or even area district has this.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• If the school / teacher thinks your kid is gifted the school will send them to be tested .
    Anonymous

• there are different programs you can find. i know in my school when i was growing up the gifted kids had these two different after school programs that they got to do special. i always wanted to do them, but i didn't qualify. we took a test in 3rd grade that decided who did these programs.

also here in indiana, there are these summer enrichment camps that are offerred by a special high school in Muncie. Its the Indiana Academy of Science, Mathematics, and Humanities. It is a residential high school for juniors and seniors. I went there actually, but I found out through my SKs school they offer these programs for elementary and middle school aged kids. its pretty neat.

So I would look into things like that. I would also talk to the school to see if they have any advice of ways to continue to challenge him. i would also talk to your son and find out how he feels about school and all of these things.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yes, there is a point into having him tested. I would only recommend to speak up early and loud to your school system and get as much help as you can for him with his gift. Just like a parent with a special needs child, the gifted need to not be left behind. Get all the help and use every resource you can possibly find to help him advance early and quickly and reap the rewards because of it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2010