how do you deal with a 13 year old boy with adhd

please help im at my wits end

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Chores, and sports, and activities to help place that energy in a good way. I am not a medicator.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• ditto!! do you have a behavioural therapist for him or a child family therapist? that is usually a good idea too
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• OMG Sati did we just agree on something??!!! Write it down!!!!
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Some kids do need the medication for ADHD, my son being one of them. He is involved in school sports, which uses up some of his energy. Also, therapy is a good route to help not only the child but the parent to learn how to parent a child with ADHD.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• see a developmental ped
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I know that some do, but I am a firm believer in trying everything else first, I just don't like giving kids meds. Some are imbalanced enough that meds is a needed thing but others just need outlets.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I also suggest finding something the child has a strong interest in. Such as sports are the arts. My own son has taught himself the guitar from watching youtube. I did not medicate my son until last year. Teen boys that have ADHD tend to become worse if they do not seek treatment.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son is on meds. But since he is older now, and starting puberty, the one he was on didn't work anymore. Now we are trying to find one that does. He has a psychiatrist, a therapist. He also talks with the school counselor. You just have to do what you can, and ride it out. I have done all I know to do, and it's difficult a lot. I did figure out that hugs do wonders for him, especially when he is upset. It calms him down, and when I ask for one out of nowhere, it makes him feel really good. They take extra work, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Therapy for the child as an individual and therapy for the family with the child.
    There are also parenting classes that will teach you how to parent a child with ADHD - I attended one in Maine when my daughter was about 6 years old. It helped a LOT.
    My daughter did require medication and she was eventually diagnosed with ODD, as well, but as she grew up and became more accountable for her actions she began to learn ways to control her behavior.
    She has been off of medication for 3 months now and she is doing wonderfully, although we still have tough moments, but medication won't fix every rough spot of dealing with ADHD.
    She is 16 years old now and also has a spirited personality, so the ADHD just heightens it and we have to remain one step ahead of her.
    She is more aware of the consequences for her behavior now, which is a huge help and positive step.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2010