What would you do?

If you lived all your life in an area where there was very little to no snowfall at all and then you moved to an area where it snowed all winter, would you take a driving course to learn how to drive in it, or would you just wing it and hope for the best?

I'm just really curious, being a gal from Maine and now living in Virginia. I've been here for a lot of years now and have only seen 2 inches of snow, at the most, until this winter, and I am afraid of all the other drivers on the road because they have no clue how to drive in the snow.

I don't blame them, but was just curious if you would take a course to learn if you moved.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 7:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i know how u feel..im really good in the snow its everyone else i worry about...speeding down the street and slamming on the breaks last min..hello its snowing like crazy out....i live in N.H..so i know to take it easy and i dont care if im the slow driver on the street better safe then sorry..but seeing its been a while for u eaither go to a class if its offerd or remeber your roots lol..drive slow and dont be near the rear of another car..also slush..not fun..and remeber the old tale if the snow is melting and its cold that night it might freeze up..black ice..i myself wouldnt miss the snow lol...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• is there even a course for that???
    Anonymous

• I think that I may. I have only driven in the snow a few times, but I was on vacation when it snowed. I live in Florida and we have black ice year round. I guess it would be similar to driving on the slick wet roads.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I moved from AZ to AK and my DH taught me to drive, the big difference is in snowy placed you have winter studded tires and that is what truly makes the difference.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I moved from CA to IL and I was scared at first, but if you drive REALLY slow and don't slam on the brakes you should be fine. You'll get used to it after a while, but I try to stay in when it's horrible.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I totally would take that class! I'm from CA and have a hard enough time driving in the rain! Lol :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I learned to drive in the snow and ice so no. My dd just moved up north after living most of her life in FL. She's doing fine driving on the snow. She's a good defensive driver and she says she wouldn't take a class for it. I suggest everyone who lives in snow areas to go to an empty parking lot with snow and/or ice on the ground and just have at it and get the feel. That's all the driver's class a person needs imho

Answer by admckenzie at 8:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I'm originally from SC and I've lived in PA for 12 and a half years now. I've slid off the road twice while driving in the snow and now I just don't drive in it, AT ALL!! If my husband can't drive me, I just don't go. I turn into a hermit this time of year. I hate it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Well I live in MD. and I know how to drive in the snow. But man there are some idiots out there. They need to stay home. It is like they have no real clue that they can't even drive. I don't think a class would help them. I mean really common scene eludes them as well.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I did just that. We moved from CA to OK. I just wing it! I got stuck in the snow last year, but I learned.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2010