Disney Trip for a 3 year old?

I used to live in So Cal, so I'm pretty familiar with the area and what everything is like. We currently live 1,000 mils north of there, and we a have a son that will be close to his 3rd b-day when we leave. We're planning on taking a road trip to Disneyland. We'd probably only spend a day or two at the actual park, and spend the rest of our trip going to the beach and hanging out with old friends of mine.

What is there for a three year old at Disneyland to do? I would love to go, but I'm worried that when we get there, it's just going to be stimulation overdrive for him, and we're not going to be able to do anything.

What has been your experience with it?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Travel

• we just took our 21/2 year old this past christmas and she enjoyed herself. we don't push disney characters at home, so it was hard for her to get all excited about characters. she loved mickey and minney though...she kept wanting to take pictures with them, and go up to them and talk to them! lol
    There are little rides like the tea cups, that she loved and other little things like that.
    Hope you guys have lots of fun!!!! He's 3 so he should love it!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I suggest waiting until he is older to take him. We took my brother when he was 4 and it was just to much on him and us. He was tired and cranky and did not enjoy the trip as much as we thought he would. We wish we would have waited until he was about 7 before we took him, we all would have enjoyed it much more.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My daughter was almost 3 when we went. She had the time of her life! She loved it. She did practically everything. It's geared for all ages - go for it!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• 1,000 miles??? I'd be more concerned about a 3 year old on such a long drive. What's that...16 hours?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My DD LOVED Disneyland. We took her at age 2, almost 3. She had EVERYTHING to do there. She went on all the rides, had lunch with Minnie and Friends, dinner with the princesses. She loved swimming, the parades, shows, etc. We stayed 5 days, and hit that park a little EACH DAY.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• kenzie07 - it's an 18 hour drive. I've driven it plenty of times, and with minimal stopping, it's 18 hours. We plan to take two to three days to get down there, we may go down the coast and take our time.

The drive is the only reason I don't want to go. I don't want to suffer through two days of driving if my son isn't going to enjoy himself there. But based on the responses, it looks like it may be worth it.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I don't blame you, OP. That 's a long way for a toddler.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2010