You shouldn't get medical procedures done on your child?

I don't understand the argument about not getting medical procedures done on children that can't consent. Isn't that our job as parents to give consent because we know what is best for our children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Health

• whose saying stuff like that? If I had to get permission from my daughter to have treatment done to her, she wouldn't be alive right now.. Some people have NO clue when it comes to things like this. Ugh..
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Mothers know what's best for their child? How funny!

The vast majority of mothers are uninformed about basic health and medical issues involving children. They don't have the informational background to make informed decisions.

The vast majority of mothers don't care about informing themselves about health, medical, and parenting.

Take breastfeeding. It's not a medical procedure but it's a health issue that I know statistics about. The World Health Organization recommends all children breastfeed at least 2 years. Only 5% of children in the US are getting any breastmilk at 12 mo, we don't even know 24 mo. Lifelong health consequences and probably less than 1% of US mothers follow the guidelines.

That means 95-99+% of mothers aren't doing 'what's best for their children'. It's easy, free, and benefits the mother.

All decisions are not equal. It's not ok to say do what works best for your family.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• These people are talking about hot topic procedures though. You know circumcision and abortion and all that jazz. it's crazy and moms are getting bashed all over the place myself included. Heaven forbid you have an opinion. There's one crazy who takes the words you say and twists them. I admit it is mildly amusing. TNT should pick up some of these posts cause you know their slogan...We know drama. And some of us just love a good drama. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Well when our son was 7 months old he couldn't speak for himself and as the parent I take that role. He had the surgery, and now he's 6 yrs old and doesn't have a clue what it was. If he wouldn't have had it he would be a different child.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Oh boy here comes the breastfeeding crusade, doctors wouldn't be ok with formula if it caused problems, and some women BTW cannot breastfeed for longer than a few months due to health issues. I would know I am one of them, so get off you BF'ing high horse already!!!!!!!!

Anyways OP you are talking about the forcing your minor to have an abortion question, and that is different than helpful medical procedures.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• "All decisions are not equal. It's not ok to say do what works best for your family. "

It sure as hell is ok because breastfeeding is NOT best for every baby or every mother. It's up to parents to make the best decision possible for their children AND their family. It doesn't matter if you personally don't like it.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• legalmommy this is a first, we never agree on anything this is promising!!! LOL
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Sorry to get off topic there. Yes as parents it is supposed to be up to us to advocate for our children and do what we feel is in their best interest until such time they can decide for themselves. It's what I do as a parent. I breast fed, I vaccinated, and I refuse to let my daughter use abortion as birth control. And I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I made informed decisions and I have no regrets.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The important factor is making informed decisions, I am picky with vaccines, but I have justifiable reasons to do so. If you don't research then you aren't being fair to your children.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Gaill your answers continue to astound me.

I for one decide what medical procedures my child gets or doesn't get. I said no to braces for my son. We can't afford them, they are purely cosmetic, he has special needs and just got done with leg braces for a year. I will give him a bit of a break before I force anything else on him.
    Yes, mothers do know best, and if they don't they usually inform themselves. Informed consent is important. We need to know what is done, the consequences (pros and cons) and believe it or not, costs do play a part. I will not bankrupt my family. I know that is easily said, but I mean it. I will not have a procedure done that will cost 80,000 dollars if I don't have a way to pay for it.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 8:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010