how can I keep my little ones from being so freindly to stranges

my children go out in public and people that we don't know come up and tale to them how do I tell them to go away

Lolipop178

Asked by Lolipop178 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why tell them to go away? It's a good thing to be friendly.

It is very, very rare for a stranger to take or hurt a child. Children are taken and hurt by people you know well, friends and family members. Scout leaders, swim instructors, coaches, doctor, mom's boyfriend, uncle, dad are the people to worry about.

My sons' female hematologist in Indianapolis was convicted of sexual abuse while my kids were her patients in the 90s. We liked her and they spent a lot of time there. They needed frequent IV infusions that they got in the office. She seemed so normal.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• What Gailll said. The chance of a "stranger" being a danger to your child is very slim.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• ok well i dont completely agree with the first post, personally i dont trust anyone outside her immediate family with mine. my DD is 5 and i have had probs in the past with her walking up to ppl she sees me talking to (could be a waitress or something) and just hugs them and wants to hlod their hand. the first time, i pulled her to the side and told her not to do that anymore bc she is not to talk to ppl that she does not know. the next time she got a spanking from my mother bc she does not tolerate that at ALL lol. she knows that some ppl are bad and that she may get hurt with the wrong person so she usually holds my hand until i tell her its ok to talk to someone
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have taught my children from when they younger to not to talk to people they don't know. And now that they are 8 and 6 when someone comes up to them they tell them the can't talk to strangers and leave. So all I can say is to keep reminding them.
    marysport

Answer by marysport at 4:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Talk about stranger danger and staying close to you and staying safe. Hugs and affection are for family. Polite conversation is for restaurant servers and store clerks. Speak politely if someone speaks to you. But, don't give your name or any personal infromation to strangers. Honestly, I think everyone needs reminding of that these days. People share TMI all over the place.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2010