anyone's child have ear infections all the time?

My daughter is 17 months and is on her 7th ear infection since her first (9 months). I'm not sure if it's 7 separate infections or some that she has failed to kick with an anti-biotic, but anyway, that's where we are. Today she was just in for a follow-up from her last one (2 weeks ago) -- well now it's on both ears. She got some sort of anti-biotic shot today because none of the others have been working. The next step, I guess, is the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. Anyone been through this? What can I expect if we have to do that? Do they still do tubes? What's that like? Please any info would be appreciated.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 8:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they will put tubes in her ears most likely. i am surprised they waited this long. tubes seem like a big thing now-a-days. I had never heard of them till my SKs.

the procedure doesn't take too long. its not suppose to be too painful. i don't know how a toddler will handle it, but my SS had to have some put back in his ears this past fall and was in some pain right afterward. however, was playing and such by that evening. They will probably show you the tubes, they are tiny. Ask lots of questions. It should help, but they can still get ear infections, but they shouldn't as much and they won't hurt as much either. The tubes normally fall out within 2 years from what I know.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• When my son had his tonsils out he also had tubes put in, they never bothered him at all.

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• both my boys had ear infections alot. My first seem to get one every month of his first year of life. They both got tubes when they were around a year old. It's not bad, they put them to sleep and put them in. It take around an hour or so. You just have to make sure no water gets in the ears...but you can get ear plugs from the doctor. If they do get them, they stay in for about two years and should fall out on there own.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 8:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• According to my mother I had an ear infection from 9 months old til 18 months old. They placed me on the strongest antibiotic you can put an infant on. My ear infections could have been caused by my mom smoking. I still get ear infections once a year.

Ear tubes are used on children that have trouble hearing along with consistent ear infections.
    allison1986

Answer by allison1986 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Children that lots of ear infections that don't respond to antibiotics they may have genetic immune deficiency. If she has one more infection and one other of the 10 warning sighn then she should be tested. All three of my children have a primary immune deficiency called common variable immune deficiency. None had ear tubes and only one had his tonsils removed at age 7.

10 Warning Signs Primary Immune Deficiencies

1. Eight or more new ear infections a year
    2. Two or more serious sinus infections a year
    3. Two or more months on antibiotics with little effect
    4. Two or more pneumonia's within a year
    5. Failure of an infant to gain weight or grow normally
    6. Recurrent, deep skin or organ abscess
    7. Persistent thrush in mouth or skin after age 1
    8. Need for intravenous antibiotics to clear infections
    9. Two or more deep seated infections in 1 year
    10. A family history of Primary Immunodeficiency Diseas
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son had ear infections almost every month from age 2 on..along with multiple cases of strep. He finally went to an ENT at age 4. He had his tonsils and adnoids removed and had tubes placed. He was put under anesthesia and the surgery took about 1 hour. He was back to his old self within a few days. He has not had an ear infection or strep since then.. he is 6 now. His tubes fell out about 6 months ago but they haven't seen a need to replace them yet.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 9:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son had his first ear infection at 3 weeks, and has had them consistently since them. He is 20 months and has had 15 ear infections... after begging the pediatrition for a referral to a ENT doctor, i finally got in. They did a hearing test, and the results weren't great so they are going to wait 3 weeks and try again. If he seems to hear ok then they aren't going to do tubes, but if he still has problems hearing due to fluid build up they are going to start the process of looking into tubes. I hope it all works out for you. Ear infections for a poor kid is no fun!!
    Anonymous

• Have you eliminated dairy?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010