Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anybody have a bipolar 3 yr old? Any advice for me?

My daughter's peditrician believes that she might be bipolar. It runs in my family and my hubby's. I am at a loss on how to deal with it all. I feel overwhelmed at times with her and my 2 other younger sons. I could really use some advice

Answer Question

Asked by Angels_mom1020 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I have a son that was diagnosed with bipolar disorder but probably had symptoms as early as 2 or 3. He had mostly mania.
    I had to childproof and always be on the watch for him to not hurt himself. He would climb to high and jump off things because he thought he couldn't get hurt.

    I was an experienced mom and that helped a lot. I knew punisment isn't an effective way to parent and it doesn't do well with kids with bipolor disorder at all. I was a single mother with no help. I had to use lots of parenting skills. I went to graduate school in a counseling psychology program and learned all I could to help him.

    He is 21 now. He has a good job, owns a home in Tucson with a pool, and is going to college. He does well on meds.

    Answer by Gailll at 8:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • This is controversial. According to the DSM IV, there is no such thing as juvenile bipolar disorder. I would suggest you get a second opinion.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • FYI: Bi Polar disorder CANNOT be diagnosed in children because the human brain doesn't finish developing until 25. I'd be VERY cautious if someone was telling me that MY 3 YEAR OLD CHILD was Bi-Polar. I suggest you take her somewhere else, get a second opinion. But, ultimately, any doctor (with a brain) will tell you that you cannot diagnose Bi-Polar disorder in anyone younger then 25 and even then it's VERY difficult to diagnose.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • maybe your doc could suggest a family therapist to help you and to help her....

    Answer by AmaliaD at 10:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.