What embarrassing word does your preschooler say?

My daughter learned the word "penis" from her 9-year-old brother. I blush everytime she says it and try not to laugh as I tell her not to. I know it's the proper name for "it", but it's creepy when a 3-year-old sings about "penis" and tells you she's singing the penis song. I'm blushing as I write this.

TheresaCook

Asked by TheresaCook at 8:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• there's a difference between knowing the proper word for penis and then singing about a penis. if it were my 3 yr old i would tell her "no do not sing that song" and if she did it after the fact of me telling her its inapprpriate id give her a time out.
    Anonymous

• my son walked in the bathroom when I was on my time of the month and saw blood on the tp paper. I told him that's how we get eggs so we can have babies....cause he thought I had hurt myself. The other day we were in the store and there was a lady stocking girly things, and my son looked over at me and said hey mom, blood comes out of your peepee. WOW, that sucked!! But I let him say penis and things like that...but I told him that things like that should only be said at home.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 9:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• They should know proper names because it helps in molestation issues, but it needs to be a serious thing not a joke, and my DD is 19 months and says "oh damn" we just say oh dang when she does it she is learning. I need to watch my mouth lol.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My SO's cousin's daughter says butthole all the time and also sings the butthole song. Over and over and over again!! She's 3.
    Anonymous

• My daughter dropped her beads the other day and looks down at them and say "oh...shit" Shes 3.... I had to turn around because I was laughing then after I collected myself went in and explained to her why she couldnt say it.
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It's hard not to laugh at times. Not that it's funny, but the shock factor. My oldest, when he was 8, called my DH a "whore" while they were goofing off at the mall. My DH family, who are strict Pentacoatal, were with us and heard this. They too were laughing. It was just out of the blue and caught us off guard. Yeah, I explained to him that that was uncalled for. I also asked if he even knew what the word meant.

TheresaCook

Answer by TheresaCook at 11:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My 3 1/2 year old calls the Wii "weed." He is constantly asking me if he can "play with weed" I tell him yes or no depending on what's going on but a few times when I've said No and we have been in a store he will get loud and say "Momma you never let me play with weed" or "but Momma I love weed." Yeah I've gotten a few strange looks from people!
    When my other son was about 3 (he's now 7), I had taken him to into my work one day and a real good friend of mine there is a black guy. So my son says "Mr. Dannie, why doesn't it come off?" Dannie said "because that's the color of my skin, it will never come off" (my son would rub the guy's arm!!). Then he said "Well how did you get that way?" So Dannie says "I drank a lot of chocolate milk." I could not believe that's what he said to my son. About a week later my Dad had taken my son to the store and started pointing out all the people that drink choc. milk!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My niece picked up shut - up from me and I didn't even realize it came from me! I knew I had said it around her but it honestly didn't occur to me that she was copying me!
    So from now on when I'm around her if I let it slip my husband puts me into her time out chair and I get a time out to show her that grown ups don't get to do everything we tell little ones not to- that's what I get for putting HIM in time out when he threw something in front of her!
    these are the stories that will be told at her HS grad party!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My son knows the difference between boys and girls-correct names. Does not really bother me and we always tell him that we only talk about those things at home. Well...kids being kids: He told his 4 year old friend his new knowledge. Her mom got mad because they dont discuss things of that nature with their children. All he said was, " I have a penis and you have a vagina" I think its funny! Her mom did not.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my daughter always says "boobs". lol
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 8:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010