My 22month old keeps bitting at daycare...help!?!

My 22 month old NEVER started bitting until he started daycare at 18months. Since then he has bitten too many times to count. It seems as though it is getting worse. He has bitten at home now as well and we just tell him. "No, we don't bite our friends, it hurts" But I feel like I have been saying that so much and it doesnt seem to be helping. When he does bite at home it always seems playful. Not aggressive. I just need another way of teaching him that bitting is not nice.

queenfet

Asked by queenfet at 9:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok I will get bashed. But my son started biting his baby sister when he was about two...we talked had time outs...the whole "biting hurts" routines....I got tired of it one day and I bit him back.

Not horribly hard. But enough that he got the message that it hurt. He NEVER did it again.

Sorry if that answer is not popular for you, but sometimes kids have to learn in another form other than verbal...they have to experience it before they get it.
    Anonymous

• bite him back. Not hard, obviously...........but bite back. This will surprise him and he'll likely quit doing it. Chances are his behavior is a need for attention. Think about it.........he bites and someone pays attention to that. Any attention is better then none. He may feel like he's not getting enough attention at daycare.
    But I truely think that you should just bite him back. Like I said, not hard.............
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Time out or I have had to do this and also know others that have. Bite him back. Not hard but enough to get a reaction out of him. My daugther stopped as soon as I did it. When she got upset. I explain to her see how you don't like that. That is what your friends are feeling. All I did was put my teeth on her and she was upset.
    Anonymous

• I agree my mom did daycare for 16 years and she had some "biters" and the parents told my mom to bite them back and not 1 kid did it again in daycare. They went home and pressed their luck and the same result the parent bit them back and it completly stopped. GL
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My dd tried this at 14 mos and I bit her back... NOT HARD! Just enough where they feel it, and not enough to leave a red mark! It works!! Dd is now 2 and hasn't tried biting since! GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2010