So if the human brain does not quit growing until like 20 or so...how do Dr's correctly dianose any brain issue such as Autism or ADHD...etc?

Just wondering..this is a throw off of a post I was reading a bit ago. The mother with the bi-polar 3 year old.

This hit me like a ton of bricks...and actually makes a lot of sense to me.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• there are several ways to diagnose autism and issues like ADHD. in fact some even involve brain scans that can show certain key indicators in some cases. even in a child's immature brains

FYI its impossible to diagnose a 3 year old with bi-polar. literally impossible or gross medical malpractice. or a lying mom
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Then why dont they do brain scans of kids to see if they have ADHD or autism?

I just dont get why its impossible to diagnose a 3 year old with bi-polar but not autism?
    Anonymous

• it is not a matter of brain growth - but how the brain functions
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• But the brain is currently changing its functions right? Making more synapses as we learn and grow.

I am not talking about brain size...I am talking about what knowledge and skills our brain possesses.
    Anonymous

• I mean if the brain is NOT DONE changing and becoming ALL that it will be until age 20...how can they give any child a perfect diagnosis without knowing how much it will change in the next 15 years.

Does that make sense.
    Anonymous

• I DO NOT under any circumstances think KIDS should be diagnosed with those illness'. The medicines for them have major concequences that we do not fully know the effects of. NO three year old has bi-polar and any mother who would believe that is just as stupid as the doctor who diagnosed it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• bi-polar is a different type of disease, the earliest kids can even be suggested for that diagnosis is 5/6. not 3. there is simply not enough developement in the child yet personalitywise to make that determination.

using brain scans for some issues like autism and adhd etc is a relatively new field. most of the diagnosis is based on developement, behaviour etc.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• ok sati: sooooooo....wouldn't you wait to diagnose a disease based on development and behavior until the brain is finished developing all their behavior.

Do you see where i am coming from. i am not arguing with you by the way ;) I am trying to unravel this in my brain. The idea behind this intrigued me.
    Anonymous

• adhd is not a matter of knowledge and skills
    here is a clip from web md to help explain - hope it helps

Using various imaging tests, researchers have been able to observe the brain at work. They have found a possible link between ADHD and:

Brain structure.
    The function of chemicals in the brain that help regulate attention and activity (dopamine and norepinephrine).
    Differences in function of some of the areas of the brain that affect attention and impulse control.

mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• ok with autism especially, early intervention to help stop the brains progress in gettting worse and locking the child in, has been shown the best way to treat the issue. with the proper testing and diagnosis the child then typically gets entered in to a extensive play therapy to help them connect with the world arund them and to communicate
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2010