Homework is ruining our family! How do you get your child/children to understand that they need to get their homework done?

It is a fight every night and it always ends up with everyone upset and yelling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• We do homework right after school. Snack can be before or after homework, depending on if she's hungry or not. I would say to check with the school to see if they're giving too much homework. I have taught at schools that gave an ungodly amount of homework, but I sent it out because I had to, but if the teacher is giving too much on her own, ask her to modify it for your son. Also, I really doubt the teacher can fail a student for not doing homework. It is really difficult to hold a student back, requires a mountain of paperwork, and has to be started by the first quarter or trimester (depending on your school schedule of course) so I think the teacher may just be trying to scare you.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• lmao sorry I shouldnt laugh...we are not there yet at my house, but I know I put my parents through that, I can remember it....
    My poor mom

GOOD LUCK!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Kids shouldn't have homework. Work to get the school to stop having homework.
    Let them do or not do their homework. Let the consequences be between them and the teacher.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Gailll the teacher has already threatened to fail the child.
    Anonymous

• Gailll there are valid REASONS for homework.

So the the parent can see what the child is working on and how well they are learning it. To show the teacher how involved the parent is or is not. To get a bit of extra practice. To let another person use their method of explaining it to the child.

To let the child just NOT do the homework and let them have the consequences is being a HIGLY irresponsible parent. If you dont want homework, then dont go to a public school.
    Anonymous

• Well last year my daughter stayed on homework until bedtime every night. I was so aggitated because it took up all of my evenings and I had many more things to do also. My husband started this thing where she could not play, watch TV, etc, until she finished her work. If she decided to spend her whole evening doing homework then let her. We even planned fun things on purpose (like family games) just so she could see what she was missing out on if she didn't finish homework. It really helps if kid 1 finishes and kid 2 doesn't. Kids hate being left out so the next time kid 1 will try harder to finish. We also had her make a list. 1) Do my homework 2)Do my chores 3) Play. We let her color it any way she wanted and we posted it on the wall where everyone could see. I think it helped her to see that she had to do 1 & 2 in order to get to 3. It worked for my daughter (9yrs) I hope it helps you guys! Good luck!
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 10:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• At our house, homework is done as soon as you get off the bus. and i help with my SKs but once they get a little older, i don't expect that i will need to help as much. if they know they won't get to do anything until their homework is done, they might get better about doing it. Good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Our daughter goes to daycare after school for a few hours. We worked with her attendant to help her and some of the others from her class to encourage them to do 1 hour of homework before they played. She usualy does her homework done there and we check it to make sure it is dome completely. If she does have homeowrk then we do it beofre she can watch tv. TV is her hot button.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You should take away all tvselevisions, music, phone, and other electric stuff like that, and basically anything that they like like for a certain amount of hours each day and use that for homework time. OR you can give them no food like I do until they finish they're homework. I say if they don't finish their homework, then they don't get any food.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 5:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• But then again, my kids do have an eating disorder. So, not sure the no food thing, is the best idea.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 5:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2010