2 month old has RSV

How serious is that? He has a breathing treatment machine at home, I've been using saline nose drops, and we're taking him into a steamy bathroom in between treatments. All he really has is one hell of a nasty cough and he wheezes if he gets a little worked up and cries really hard for some reason. His appetite hasn't really changed and other than being a little bit fussier than normal, he's still awake, alert, and smiley when he wants to be. He's had a low fever since Saturday, nothing above 100.6, which that and the cough that developed literally overnight is what made me bring him in.
Is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable? Anyone else have a young baby get RSV? I'm a little nervous since when he was 6 days old he was in the hospital for an unknown virus for a week. Ugh! This is so nervewracking!

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, RSV can get that severe, it's not unheard of for a baby to die from it. It sounds like you're doing the right things to me, but just be VERY CAREFUL and stay in close contact with his doc until he's over it. The second it seems to turn worse, even just a little, I'd bring him in. He'll probably get over it just fine but you do NOT want it to get out of hand!
    stargazer5585

Answer by stargazer5585 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Remember to take care of yourself too. Taking care of a sick baby can be tiring and sometimes we forget about ourselves and we are useless when we are overtired. My suggestion, you are doing anything you can for him. Have faith in that. If his fever spikes or anything, don't hesitate to call his dr. Otherwise, just try to relax.............the joys of parenthood! Hugs!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• agree with diva!
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 10:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I would just keep in touch with your doctor. RSV can turn into other more serious illnesses especially in very young children. My son and I are just getting over RSV. His turned into an ear infection and mine is just a nagging cough now. But, it was pretty miserable and I couldn't imagine an infant with it. I think everything you are doing is good. Just make sure your doctor is aware.
    queenfet

Answer by queenfet at 10:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• If he is bottle fed it is very serious. If he is breastfeed it is much less serious. There are less complications, hospitalizations, and deaths.

If you are bottle feeding you could relactate. You may be able to get breastmilk from MilkShare.com or a milk bank.

You can carry your baby in a sling and swaddle.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• So since he's formula fed he could die?!?! I think I'm about to cry! I never heard of that!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• That sounds JUST like what Alec has! He woke up wheezing and coughing a little this morning. I guess we find out if that is what he has when we go into the doctor this afternoon
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I hope your little one gets to feeling better soon too....hugs mama....its tough when they are sick but it sounds like you are doing everything right.
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2010