My granddaughter is biracial and her hair is soft but nappy, curly!!!!! We are looking for a conditioner or natural way to tame the curls, she is 4 yrs old and hair is out of control, dont want to cut it. Please help!!!!

mosaickathy1

Asked by mosaickathy1 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Beauty & Style

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • ummm, how do you tame curls? curls are curly.....
    you can put gel or mouse or something in it
    I have curly hair and I use mouse
    my son is mixed, his hair is soft, but curly, and when it is not cut short we put mouse or gel in it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• in the NICU we use a&d ointment on the curls to make em curl instead of fuzz-- we also are told only to wash their hair only 3x a week
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Look for a spray on conditioner called "Just for me". It's a detangler for kids with textured hair.
    Anonymous

• thank you all soooo much already for such a quick responce. i will look for the products and try every ones advise....
    mosaickathy1

Answer by mosaickathy1 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• In Chicago, there is a salon that teaches African American and biracial kids how to take care of their hair; I would try to find a similar salon in your area.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• THERE'S A HAIR PRODUCT CALLED MIXED CHICKS ITS FOR WOMEN/KIDS OF ALL RACES WITH CURLY HAIR! IT REDEFINES THE CURLS !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• depends on what you are doing with it.. if you want a more tamed cure.. first try a detangler.. like pink lotion (it's a type of detangler for hair).. then comb (not brush) it out. Do not shampoo more than every 3 days.. her hair does not produce enough sebum and her hair is too coarse for it to penetrate to actually make it that dirty anyways and you will only further damage the hair. There are oils and gels to help coat the hair to give it shine, and tame the frizz (if you can't afford higher end products, a cheap solution is vaseline, although this can make the hair look extremely greasy, especially if the hair density is thin). Do NOT chemically alter the hair, it's too dangerous to the hair and the skin of a child that young. Also try to detangle when conditioning the hair in the tub.. this helps when you get out. cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• to get the hair to stay in a more tamed look, try simple looks. Like a few braids. The braids will last in this type of hair, until the next shampoo if done tight enough and correctly.. and saves YOU and the child a lot of time and effort. Pigtails also work, however they do have to be taken out daily and recombed daily. Feel free to pm me. I've almost graduated from school for this, and have a biracial daughter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2010