For mothers with an autistic child?

What were some of the signs that your child has autism? When was your child diagnosed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was a late talker. She is 4 now and still is not on a 4 year old level.

She would not respond when her name was called. We thought she had a hearing loss, took her for an ear exam. Nothing.

She couldn't follow directions such as "get your bear"

Seemed to not really care who was around her very much. Aloof.

My daughter has mild autism possibly aspergers which is very high functioning. She is doing much better right now and has been in therapy since she was 18 months. But we are not doing a diagnosis right now..(YES SHOOT ME)

B/c she is getting all the services she can get, whats the point. When it is needed we will find a diagnosis. I mean really it doesnt change anything.

My dd is funny, loving, sweet, cute. She has been able to read since she was 2.5..lol ;) Its not a death sentence in fact, it can be a blessing in disguise ;)
    Anonymous

• I have a child in the autism spectrum . putting it as an autistic child suggests that is all the defines my child. just a perference of mine.

we knew about 2-2 1/2 that something was not quite right. He stopped progressing with his milestones at the "norma" rate. and it steadily got worse till it seemed like he was going in reverse. He would line up blocks for hours on end on the living room floor and if a cat, or someone else moved a block a FRACTION out ofplace, he would melt down for HOURS and HOURS. His speech was delayed as well. at 3 it wsa like we had a 1 and a half year old in a 3 year olds body. and he was not picking up language comprehension. in fact we worked with sign language with him for a lng time those early years.

he was diagnosed behaviorual delay with no known cause at about 3 1/2 he did not quite fit the quiteria for aspergers. but they felt he was definitely IN the spectrum. with that dianosis cn
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• cnt came therapy for behaviur, speech, devleopement and day to day skills. we learned more as we went along. he was retested at 5 and they confirmed then a diagnosis of PDD NOS which is in the autism spectrum but has some differences. like he more speech than typical, he has eye contact. but he struggles with identifing emotions in others. He misses social cues. which cause him no end of frustration. he is extremely defiant to the point of self injury
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son is 6 and he is testing at a developemental level of 3 and a half.
    sati769leigh