Why not get married?

Is anyone else in a long-term relationship and sick of people asking why you don't just get married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd tell them to mind their own business.
    Anonymous

• Before my sister and her husband got married she went through that a lot. Their main reason was that his ex kept asking what she did for a living so they figured she was going to try to get more child support.
    They just started telling people that it would put them into a higher tax bracket and they'd just end up paying more taxes. Although she did tell one annoying guy at her work that was always being really nosy that they didn't want to ruin a good sex life. lol He stopped asking her anything after that.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yes I do get tired of hearing that. I always tell people I did it once and that was enough. Although my loving SO has never asked me although we talked about it earlier in our relationship, now he has no intentions of asking. I feel like it is the "Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?" I feel like it's pretty pointless now.
    Anonymous

• my mom seems to be the only one who asks that. It kinda bothers me because we are happy the way we are, but she's from a different generation so I keep my comments to myself.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yes I hear that all the time. People always wanna know when am i gonna get married. And my bf really wants to but im afraid to jump into that again it is just too hard if it doesnt work
    momof3Bs242

Answer by momof3Bs242 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• oh definately, we have been together for almost 4 yrs and havent tied the knot yet, we have a baby together, we live together, but i just am not 100% sure that he is ready for all that, when i get married, i want it to be the last time, and i want the man i marry to know that i am a priority and for him to think of my needs as well as his own. but he is still very young and is still trying to get the hang of it. this is his only long term relationship, i stole him shortly after he graduated HS lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• That $50 piece of paper gives you both thousands of dollars of legal protection. If your SO was in a coma, you could be not be allowed any say in his medical treatment; in fact, you could be banned from the hospital.
    Not to mention, sharing medical benefits, being able to collect surving spouse's social security payment, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010