Does pregnancy often include irregular bowel movement?

I have been awake since 9 am yesterday and I haven't been able to sleep because my intestines feel like crap... I feel like I am constipated but at the same time every time I do go to the bathroom it is very lose. I don't know how much more of this I can handle.. Is this normal or should I be concerned

mamacaryn

Asked by mamacaryn at 6:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Health

• Well it sounds like you are concerned, so I would call your OB. Good luck.
    mrschrono

Answer by mrschrono at 7:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• yeah, call your dr. i was constipated and had loose stools on and off. but irregularity is common in pregnancy. tums were my best friend!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• This is not a normal sign of pregnancy...call your ob and give them your symptoms.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Oh yea, this is sadly very normal. For me, not to get all TMI on you, I'll go almost a week without going and I'll hurt so bad on the inside. Then I finally go and it's loose. Ugh, lovely side effects of having a little one!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I'm very surprised at others saying this isn't normal. I don't think that the being awake because of it is necessarily normal, but the bowel movements themselves sound exactly like what I had BOTH pregnancies and was assured by my midwife (last time) and doctor (this time) were very normal.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Normal though you should ask your dr. about it. I know my prenatal vitamin contains a stool softener due to constipation being common in pregnancy so you may want to see if yours has one and if so maybe you can switch to one without. Make sure you stay hydrated!
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 12:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Check with your doctor but the body changes a lot during pregnancy...drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 2:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• i would ask my doc - i had to have my gahlbladder removed after i gave birth -
    also it could be just the vitamins -
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• It is normal and i was told to use milk of magnesia as often as I neede tastes awful though, but the cherry kind isn't as bad.
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 5:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Oh yes this is very normal. I asked my dr. again about this last week & he told me that the same enzimes (or hormones) that affect the smooth tissue in the uterus that keep it from contracting until later, affect the smooth tissue in the bowels. So needless to say the bowels don't push on their own. I was given a stool softener and was told to try prune juice, milk of magnesium, an enema, or suppositories-due to the fact that the stool softeners don't work like Exlax (no stimulants). Try adding fiber (Metimucil) it works! I was backed up for weeks. As for being up for hours, I too have been there. Try no to push too hard or you'll end up with hemrroids.
    Piawaket

Answer by Piawaket at 5:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2008