Ok, it's NOT a game!

my son recently made the transition to his toddler bed, which he LOVES. But when it comes to bedtime, he refuses to lay down and sleep. He thinks it's so much fun to come running down the hall after we've left the room. He's all smiles and laughs the whole time and when we come to lay him back down he just runs for his bed, climbs up on it and lays down on his pillow. I don't want to yell at him, I don't want to spank him. I hate that it's even a problem because he's so cute when he's doing this. But he needs to know that when we say bedtime we mean it. We have our second due in May, my son will be 18 months at that time. I'm really hoping he settles down before then. Did any of you moms go through a rough transitional period?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you could try putting a gate across his door?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• we did the gate thing, but then he just cried that he was on his side of the gate
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Awww I hate when they think they are being funny like that and you're all "Grrr stop that". I don't know what to suggest but duct tape can fix ANYTHING...lol j/k
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• So you already have a 15 mo old in a toddler bed. Is that too early? I was thinking about getting a toddler bed closer to 2 yrs of age. Are you potty training?
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Unless he was crawling out of the crib, perhaps he's not ready for the toddler bed. My son like the securitiy of his crib. Some have a fear of "wide open spaces" at that age. At 15 months, he doesn't understand (nor remember) that he supposed to stay in the bed. Our son was 2 when we transitioned him, and it was to a bed that has "side walls", a step 2 bed with a ladder. I got it purposefully so that he wouldn't roll off, and to indulge his "climbing" fettish. The storage underneath was handy, too. But I digress. Perhaps because of the baby coming, you feel the need to "prod" his development along, but he's still just a baby himself. I'd suggest keeping him in the crib for a few more months, and putting the baby in a bassinet in your room or a pack & play for a few months, until he's more ready. Good luck & Congrats! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Try the stay in bed technique from suppernanny! I have seen it and will probably try it with the 4th when she is ready for it. You put them to bed and leave the room. When they get out you put them back with a it is bed time statement. Then if they get up again you do the same with bed time now and then from then on when they get up you just pick them up and put them back to bed with no talking. It make take awhile at first but they should settle down later on.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yup, dd did this at 14 mos when I moved her.... sadly I had to shut the door! :( But it kept her in there and she's never slept on the floor (she's 2 now). She has a night light, soft music and the door shut for bedtime, then I come running in as soon as I hear her make any noise in the morning! Oh, and when he cries show him you are still there! Go in, talk to him, reassure him, say goodnight and leave until the cry becomes a fake cry.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• We had the same problem with my son, we just closed the door. He cried and fell asleep behind the door the first two nights and then was fine with it. Its hard and trust me I cried with him but you just have to stick to it.
    JDalila

Answer by JDalila at 11:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010