Please read, so upset! Gas merchant and money on hold

I hope I can explain this well. I found out for the second time in less than a month that this gasoline company is charging my account two transactions same day same location. I have been going to this gas station (same company different locations) for 10 years now and always used my ATM/DEBIT card each time to pay. Well, come to find out twice already I've noticed my account gets debited for the amount of gas I purchased plus $100 is put on "hold" but yet my account is being debited for the $100 also. This has happened twice already. I called my bank they told me the merchant has their own policies whether to put this amont on hold or not. I called the gas station and they gave me the "we're not responsible, your bank is". After 5-6 days later the $100 hold amount does get reverse but still I'm out $100 for those 5 to 6 days. I cannot afford $100 to be put on hold each time I go put gas in my car.Does this happen to u?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• stop going to that station? i mean that is the simple answer. or use cash
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Most gas stations have stickers on the pump telling you they'll do that. It's standard now because of people using debit cards and not having money in the bank. If you don't want the money on hold, use cash.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have never heard of that - I would stop going to this gas station
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• It is very easy to say "stop going to that gas station" ,but that is not the point. This gas station is not one in particular it's one HUGE company and what they are doing is not right.
    Anonymous

• I see..... so the convenience of using atm/debit cards is no longer a convenience. Nice!!
    Anonymous

• Plus, I thought using atm/debit automatically deducted the amount from your account which is exactly what I want. So confuse now!
    Anonymous

• Most gas stations where I live do that. The simple solution is to just use cash.
    Anonymous

• that is messed up...sorry u have to deal with that..i would freak out..but i have to say if anything go to your bank and take out say 25.00 and then go to gas station..now an atm debt.....even if the money is in there it will be pending for a few hours to a day...also if the money isent in accont or even 1.00 over drawn the bank will take care of it but also chage u a fee of like 35.00..so honestly to be safe for a lil i would just take out cash and pay for it that way least u know u wont get screwed or have to wait..moral or not big comp or not its not right and to deal with it...its not worth it..good luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• what gas station? SO I can steer clear!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• In Oregon and Washington the do that but it is only a $75 fee not$100. I just use cash I don't have an extra $75 to be "put on hold", I have bills to pay and a family to feed.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 12:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2010