HOW OLD IS THE AVERAGE AGE OF CHILDREN WITH BRACES?

my child is ten years old. The dentist says that he is too young and his mouth is still growing. The ortho says the he can remove the baby teeth surgically. Doesnt that seem extreme? Any advice will be greatful!

MOM2BOYZ188

Asked by MOM2BOYZ188 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Health

• i got mine when i was 13....i would wait a couple more years..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Mines got his at 13 the dentist told me to wait until he was 12.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 11:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• You know, this is a good question!! I got my braces when I was 14. My son is 9 and they are telling me the same thing they are telling you! It sounds like a lot of monkey business, to me. Also, I don't know if my son is old enough to properly care for them-it's hard to floss with braces. I'm waiting until my son is 13 or 14. I don't care what the dentist or orthodontist says. I mean I see adults with a full set of braces so it can't hurt to wait, right?
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I was 11 when I got braces....they removed my wisdom teeth surgically...it wasnt bad i'd do it again...they showed me pics of people who didnt take care of their teeth when they had braces then I took EXTRA care of them!!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i was 13 or 14...the dentist just wants to make sure that the teeth have basically done all the moving they are going to do before they put on braces, wouldnt u hate it if he got braces and he had a huge growth spurt or something and his teeth changed as well...also he will be more able to care for them at that age, braces are a lot of work and they hurt a lot too, so i think its better to wait. and if he is already 10 and still has baby teeth then the doc is gonna HAVE to remove them, they are not coming out on their own. i had to get 4 teeth removed when i got braces.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I'm glad this question was asked because I have one that is going in to be looked at for braces and she's only 8; I think she's too young. Everybody that's looked at her teeth says it's going to be a must and possibly even dental surgery. I'm unsure when they start such things and know I'll need to save up. Does anybody have any idea on expense of the whole thing from starting to wear braces to taking them off, supplies and procedures?
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• The reason braces are started on younger children is because they are easier to align the teeth and the treatment goes faster. I have been in dental for 22 years and understand it has to do with growth patterns.
    As far as cost are concerned it depends on how severe the misalignment is. Most orthodontic practices offer a free consultation. Orthodontics is paid for on a monthly payment plan like a car payment (only much less per month) which helps make it more affordable.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2010