Older Child Private Domestic Adoptions?

Does anyone have any experience with this? We would much rather do a private adoption that deal with this gov. run foster care system. But we are looking for a toddler age son, not an infant.
We have been getting the run around from the foster care system for months now and I am fed up with them, you would think they would be happy to help when you are trying to give one of their kids a loving home, but no one returns phone calls, or lets you know about impact classes until they are already happening.
We would LOVE to do a private adoption but are there very many domestic older child private adoptions?

ShotCaller

Asked by ShotCaller at 11:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Adoption

• http://www.adoptuskids.org/
    Anonymous

• i agree, adoptuskids.org is a great site, i was just there today. It gives you a bunch of info about the kid or kids and although i have never contacted them, i'm pretty sure they would be fairly easy to work with. Good luck
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have to say I agree with you about trying to adopt from foster care. Everyone acts like it is so simple, and thinks if you want to adopt it is so easy just go through social services. From my personal experience they do not want to help you, they seem to be not interested in you or your feelings. Foster care is pushed not adoption. I was even discouraged by a social worker about adopting from another state. I was told the photolisting of children are children who cannot even be placed with a family in their own state due to emotional, physical etc. problems. Of course, nobody is looking for the perfect child however when it comes to some emotional or physical disabiliites you have to be sure this is something you can handle. I wish I had an answer for you. It seems with foster care you have to wait years or they simply are discouraging. I know how you feel. I would suggest trying private agencies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You can always have a private agency handle the adoption but find the child thru foster care listings. That's how we did it with our daughters. The county we were in at the time told us it would take 2 years to get a home study completed and then another 2-3 years for adoption placement. We went to the private agency got the homestudy done in just 4 months, found our daughters thru a support group and had them in our home all within 8 months with the adoption finalized 6 months later.

Now the county I live in now is totally different. They want the children out of foster care and into permanent homes. Foster care costs money to the county where adoption takes it away. If the family is granted any money (Title IV) then it comes from the Federal governement & not the county budget.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Adopting a toddler from domestic adoption is actually much more difficult than adopting a newborn/very young baby. There just are not a lot of them coming to adoption agencies who are free for adoption. You will notice that it doesnt start getting easier with foster care until you are looking for age 7-8 or higher.

Many people think it is harder to get an infant but the age you are hoping for is actually the hardest!
    Anonymous