I dont have money for flea treatment! At home remedys?

I LOVE my two cats and dont want to have to get rid of them becuse i cant afford to get flea treatment and bomb the house. Please tell me there is some at home remedys to get rid of the fleas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Pets

• diatomacious earth-- it dries up the coating on their exoskeletons. However, if you have kids, I'd check with the doctor first as I don't know what effect, if any, it has on their little lungs.

I've been successful using shampoo the minute I see a flea. I also get the coat drops from Costco.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• are you SURE they have fleas?

Sorry but, if you cannot afford to take care of your pets, maybe it is best to find them a home where they can get the care they deserve. And.. most veterinary offices take payment plans.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Take some bay leaves (you can buy a big tub of these probably at Walmart or Target) and spread them all over your house.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• call you vet and ask if they sell the flea treatments in single doses. Alot of vets are doing this these day so that might make it a little more affordable.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• BORAX is a great flea treatment, it is actually a laundry detergent. Sprinkle it over carpets, under cushions and rub into the coat of the animal. Fleas breath through the pours and this stuff cloggs their pours, it has worked great for me and it is a natural substance and my kids never had problem with it although I did not let them lick it or anything . Use for about a week and you shoud see a big change.
    The other old RULE was to bring a flea free animal into your home, the fleas will jump on the clean animal.
    Eve
    Majicaleve

Answer by Majicaleve at 7:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• you can also use baby powder on everything. Coat your cats in baby oil for about 10 minutes then was out with dawn dish soap.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You shouldn't have said you can't afford the flea medicine, because you will get the holier than thou "IF YOU CANT AFFORD PETS BLAH BLAH BLAH" No one asked for your judgement, she asked for some help. Do you know why she can't afford the medicine? NO. Maybe she could afford it when she got the cats but can't now. So why don't you just answer the question and keep your snarky smart remarks to your self?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I'd do some research on this, but my mom used to give her pets brewers yeast supplements in their food. It's supposed to keep fleas off your pets. You can get it at health food stores.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Get the dish soap Vel(the pink one)...people use that here to get rid of fleas on horses. It's pretty cheap and works pretty good. We've used it on our dogs for ticks, fleas and when they get really stinky...that stuff is like magic!!!
    Anonymous

• If you use dish soap use Dial or original blue Dawn. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
    NOT all vets will take payments and almost none without a huge down payment. When was the last time you asked for help?
    No vet will take payments on a flea treatment ointment.
    Look online for herbal remedies to fight fleas. Be careful tho cuz cats are susceptible to some ingredients. Be prepared to wash it off quickly if needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2010