do your kids fight over toys???if there 4 years apart does the younger one gets its way?

how do you handle this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes they fight, No the younger doesn't get thier way. Who had the toy first? that is who get the toy! can't share then the toy goes away.....sorry!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 12:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My kids are 4 years 4 days apart..lol. Yes they always fight. I have made a rule that there are toys my oldest doesnt have to share, and there are toys of my youngest one that he is not aloud to play with, cuz its only fair. Ofcourse the little one (he is 1) doesnt quite get all of this yet, so we make rules if where and when toys are played with. Not fair to let the youngest get his way. They need to learn boundaries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• lol sounds like my house! mine are 3yrs and 11 months apart....and they are now 1.5 and 5.5 and the baby is mean as a snake so he does NOT get his way, he doesnt get to play with her girly toys (bratz, barbies, computer games)...she does not get to take the neutral toys away if he is playing with them, if there is one that they both want i make them sit and play together, or take it away. they try to fight, the oldest will sneak in a few licks before the baby cries, but he always hits her first (i hear it everytime lol). she understands that he doesnt know any better and that she may pop him lightly if he continuously hits her (3 times or more) since she began hitting him back these fights are few and far in between lol!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yes!!!! i let them play with whatever toy they want but who ever gets the toy first plays with it. if one child wants the toy only because the other is playing with it then, then no he dont have to share.but my oldest messes with my younger one all the time ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my kids are 31/2 yrs apart and neither of them gets their way if they are fighting over and toy I take it away and they have to find something else to play with
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 1:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• hi there, with 4 kids, there are always scraps, we have the rule "if you put it down and walked away it's up for grabs". The older kids have some special toys that are theirs only, but they stay in their room and they have to be responsible for keeping them out of reach. Sharing is not a concept kids are developmentally ablt to fully grasp until they are 4 or 5, so it is like trying to catch the moon expecting a two year old to know to share, thats when we teach them, but it won't come naturally yet.
    I also am far more careful now with saying who owns things. Our kids have very few things they can say are just their own. Most toys are "sharing toys" or family toys - especially computer games or Wii etc
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If they can't work it out themselves I take the toy away and no one gets it. My 9 1/2yo and almost 4yo share a room and were fighting over the Barbies the other day so I took the Barbie away so I didn't have to listen to it anymore.
    I'm always taking toys away. It's been the rule since my first 3 were toddlers. You fight over it and it's gone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2010