Do you ever wonder if your child/children are going to like you when they're adults?

A lot of my friends dislike their parents, or at least see their parents as totally irrelevant to their lives. It really bothers me that one day my daughter may feel the same way about me and her dad! Do you ever wonder what kind of relationship you're going to have w/ your kid once they're grown?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 12:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, i do. I think the only reason I do is because i hate my mom. And for good reason (but too long to tell). I guess theres this kind of inside worrying that she might not care for me but i know in my heart i wont do anyting to make her feel that way. (excpet for curfews and no boyfriends untill 16) lol
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I fully expect at least one of my children to not care for me(at least for a while). I also fully expect them to each carry a piece of me as part of their personality whether they like it or not.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• LOL amaranth. EXACTLY!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i would be so devastated if any of my kids didn't like me when they grow up! i would do absolutely everything i could to right any wrongs i did, or even right any wrongs they fell i might have done! i really look forward to knowing my kids as adults. my secret dream that i won't tell them, is that i hope they all live pretty close together when they have their own families!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think it is normal for a child to grow up and be absolutely 100% positively certain that they will not like their parents, will do nothing the way their parents did, will definitely NOT raise THEIR children the way their parents raised them. Then, after life kicks them around a little bit, they realize that their parents really aren't so horrible, they did know a few things after all, and that they do love their parents. It is a part of breaking away from your parents, and finding your own independence. I think that if some kids didn't feel that way, they would never leave their parents and find out what good friends their parents can be.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Of course I wonder. I hope, as well, that they will be independent and smart enough to recognize the lessons we are teaching over the years. I have a good relationship with my mom, so I think I can teach my kids to maintain a healthy but independent relationship with me (and hubby) as they become adults.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I've never really gotten along with my mom. I hope my children don't feel like that towards me but it could happen.
    I hope they like me as they grow up but, it's not really something I feel I can control.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 1:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I too wonder about this, and a bunch of other things, sometimes I gotta stop myself and remember that she is only two, but then again, time passes by so fast, is scary, I'm definetely not looking forward to the "Teen years" and "Peer pressure" and all the other issues out there
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think every parent wonders this. Especially if you happen to have rather challenging kids who have to be disciplined all the time.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010