Shouldn't they have induced me tonight?

38.5 weeks pregnant. I went to L&D tonight because my blood pressure was up. It was 164/108.

I thought for sure they would induce because that's pretty high but they sent me home on bed rest. They said my BP was fine when I was laying down but any time I set up it was high again.

I'm like afraid to take a shower now. Am I just supposed to lay in this bed for the next 2-3 weeks?

Shouldn't they have induced with my BP that high?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You don't want to be induced unless it is an emergency. It ups your chances of a csection.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I believe they have other criteria for induction for high blood pressure such as also spilling protein in your urine.

if your blood pressure is fine while laying down TAKE THEIR ADVICE AND STAY IN BED!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Well I think blood pressure high enough to put me at risk of a stroke or put my baby at risk of not getting any oxygen constitutes an emergency!

I would rather have a c-section than something happen to my baby!

I've been researching this since I got home and everyting I read says induction is usually done when BP is that high. I don't understand why they didn't? What if something happens to my baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Don't stress yourself out, it's going to make it worse! Lay down and read or take a Tylenol PM. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you lay down and stay in bed like they said than nothing's going to happen. And there's many factors that lead to high blood pressure.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I had that happen to me i went in L&D b/c i was so swollen it scared me and my blood pressure was so high but they told me i was fine b/c i would lay down and it went down.... so my doctor put me on bed rest for 14days and it still didn't work blood pressure shot up when i stood up... so they induced me i was 6 weeks early... i had a vag delivery too they just gave me magnesium to keep my blood pressure under control.... i had my son at 38 weeks and he was 8 lbs.... i think you need to see ur doctor and talk to him about inducing b/c high blood pressure is dangerous
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If your blood work and urine were fine, there's no reason to induce just due to a high bp. Obviously the baby is doing well since they let you go home, and laying down your BP is fine so there's no reason to induce. You're 38 weeks, labor is just around the corner. Just relax.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• At my 37wk check up my bp was at 147/95, the next wk at 38wk checkup it was 152/92 so my dr put me on bedrest for 2days bc I told them I had went on a cleaning spree and so she thought it was maybe due to that. I went back in that Fri after the 2days of bedrest and bp was still high. She scheduled to induce me that following tues but I went into labour at 445am the following morning, only bc the storms that passed threw me into labour cause I am a big chicken, lol. BP being high is not good, its one of the first signs of toxemia usually...Call your dr and get in to see them and discuss your concerns...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Here is my advice lay down and RELAX. Call you on call number for after hours and ask them what they think, and that you are worried. I am guessing that the baby isn't ready yet and that is why they did bed rest first, some babies are ready by then some arent so do what is best and RELAX. Drink lots of water and stay calm and don't get up and move around.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• like pp's say...relax, lay down and don't stress over it! it is best to keep your thoughts positive, your body relaxed...for your baby! your baby will come when it is ready!
    good luck and congratulations on your soon to be here baby!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2010